Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel bolt length on Live Axle

thesheep

The spare wheel bolt didn't seem to fit my 13 x 6 inch wheels. The bolt is too long. It looks like this (that extra nut in the middle is fixed and doesn't move).

So I ordered the part from CC thinking I had the wrong one, and the one they sent is different, but still too long. So it doesn't hold the wheel tight.

Wheels are 23P offset.

What's going on here? Am I supposed to trim the bolt to fit??

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

It looks like you are not using the spare wheel spacerthat bolts onto the wheel using two wheel nuts. Without that, the bolt that you have will seem impossibly long.

Depending on the bolt that you have, you may need the spacer sleeve. I do not bother with a spacer sleeve, but use an ordinary hex-headed bold onto the spacer - so that the hex head is recessed and cannot be removed easily by thieves - unless they have a socket set with them.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 26 May 2009 09:49:10

Ah thanks Graham that is making more sense now.

I'll order a spacer.

Looks like the sleeve is for De Dion models only, so I guess I won't need that.

Your hex-headed bolt is a good idea. I've been wondering about how to deter thieves. Can't quite visualise what you're saying but perhaps it will make more sense to me when I get the spacer.

I'm actually beginning to wonder about the wisdom of a spare wheel at all... can of foam might be a better solution perhaps.

--------------------------------------------------------

Caterham7Junkie.com

• Area Representative

TS - you may have fathomed this already but I'll wibble anyway - what appears to be a nut on the threaded portion of your spare wheel bolt is actually an extension piece with a male threaded portion to attach to the chassis and a female portion to receive the bolt, IYSWIM. If you take the extension piece off (and it should come off with a bit of Plusgas, heat, BFnI, etc) I reckon you'll achieve what you're looking for.

I have the 'Y' shaped spare wheel bracket that Graham linked to and also use the extension piece on your bolt to avoid the inevitable dinging and scratching to the rear panel while trying to line up the bracket. The chassis end of the bracket was kindly milled down by Brent (cheers chap *thumbup* ) to achieve the correct clearance.

If you use the 'Y' bracket without a spacer the wheel will still sit clear of the rear panel (designed to provide full width access to the boot IIRC), so if you want the wheel clamped tightly to the body your best bet is to use the bolt you have without the extension piece. The disadvantage of that setup is dust and grit being trapped between the tyre and panel and grinding away at your paint/ali.

If you want to use the single bolt but can't get the extension piece off, I probably have one kicking around in the bowels of the garage somewhere.

I make you right - a can of wonderglub is probably a lot less faff *tongue*

Cruds

Windy,

Sorry, I cannot remember the bolt size. I just happened to have one lying around in the spares bag. IIRC the hex head was 17mm or the imperial equivalent so there cannot be that many options.

If you have the long bolt, it should not be too difficult to measure the diameter, and for length, add 20mm to the length of the spacer tube.

Send me a BM if you need me to double check the size at the weekend.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!