Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Clio front hub issue

philwaters

Anyone got any thoughts on this one?

I drove my wifes car to work yesterday and it makes a noise from 15-20mph upwards, at its worst around 60mph. Dip the clutch and the noise remains the same. It is noticably worse going around right hand bends and seems to quieten on left handers.

So, I've just jacked the front up and the right hand front is free to spin, no free play in wheel bearings, etc. Feels fine.

The left hand front, however, won't spin, it requires quite a bit of effort to move the wheel and it won't spin freely at all. I can't feel any play in the wheel bearings. You can feel the backlash in the system as it is slightly easier to turn, but then tightens up again, but it still isn't very free to turn (by backlash I mean if you turn it over a short distance and then back the other way).

Gearbox oil level was fine, brake pads aren't binding... I'm confused as to what it might be. I think I have 3 options, a) wheel bearing, b) CV joint or c) gearbox bearing.

I think (and hope) that it is A. The fact that it gets worst on a right hander strongly points to this but obviously I'd have expected to find some play by rocking the wheel.

*confused*

Phil Waters

Take it into an empty carpark, and do some slow turns on full lock.

That should show up a dodgy CV joint, as it should knock.

Check the boots for signs of splits as well.

If it is constant noise, it is likely to be the wheel or gearbox bearings.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Ben used to have a Clio Phil, and that suffered a similar noise which turned out to be a wheel bearing. Not too difficult to replace so hopefully that's all it is on Mandy's as well. *thumbup*

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Lotus Elise Probably the best hair dryer in the world! 😬