Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil for steering rack ??

Nick Woods

I've been following Raphael's thread about sticky steering and found that when I put my car up on axle stands and turned the front wheels the steering column made quite a bit of noise and vibrated

I oiled the U/J, the shaft through the dashboard and put some vaseline where the rack goes through the rubber boots in the pedal box and this has stopped the noise and the vibration. I also oiled the suspension uprights and the whole thing seems to turn a bit more smoothly now.

My question is can I / should I take the rack adjuster off and squirt some oil in the rack, and if so what grade should I use. This is more a case of wanting to be sure everything is well lubricated rather than one of being sure that it isnt.

Nick

P8MRA - The greenid=green> one with redid=red> wings

I posted this a while ago. You may find it useful - especially the last sentence.

If I remember correctly the damper button should have 0.002 / 0.004 endfloat. This needs to be measured along the complete used length of the rack in order to avoid preload (binding). The damper spring will keep the contact of the pinion and rack only to alieviate rack knock (not really relevant to a Seven.

The bottom line, as correctly mention previously, is to avoid binding.

By the way, one of the best rack lubricants is EP140 - yes 140, at about a 1/4 of a pint.

Steve B

Thanks Steve - I did do a search but couldnt find anything.

I'm a bit unsure about where and how to measure the endfloat, ie where do I stick the feeler gauge (polite answers only please smile.gif - could you elaborate ?

Nick

P8MRA - The greenid=green> one with redid=red> wings