Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Misfire help!!

Tonycaterham

Recently re-fitted engine and been out for 20 mile run last weekend and all OK.

Fired it up yesterday after re-setting hard and soft cuts on the ECU. Engine started OK, ran for 10 seconds then went onto three cylinders and now can't find problem.

Running 1800 K series on Jenveys with wasted spark system and Emerald ECU.

Problem is with No 2 cylinder.

Taken plug out and it has a spark.

Plug is not dry but not exacly dripping with fuel either.

Swopped plugs around but still not firing on all four.

Swopped injectors around but still not firing on no2.

Started engine up and ran for a few seconds with no 2 plug removed and did not see anything in the way of fuel vapour being expelled from the plug hole. However did not risk revving it.

Put voltmeter on no2 injector wires and reads constant 13.1 Volts on both connections when ignition on and engine running (albeit on 3 cylinders).

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Try swappin a spark plug from another cylinder. Although you have a spark, it may be breaking down under compression.

What coil set up?

Try swapping the lead in the coil position and see if it makes any difference (2 for 4).

Have you got a compression tester?

Check the compression across all 4 and see if there is a big difference.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Hi,

I've tried swapping the plugs and leads around but no better.

I taken all the injectors out still attached to the fuel rail and turned engine over and all the injectors are spraying fuel in what seems to be equal amounts.

May get a compression tester this tomorrow but engine very recently rebuilt by DVA so do not expect any problems in that area but starting to run out of ideas.

HELP

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Edited by - Tony7 on 28 Feb 2009 15:00:08

Update.

Just gone out and bought a compression tester and guess what, no compression on cylinder no 2 *mad*

I about had enough after being sold a engine that required a rebuild after 50 miles then the rebuilt engine refreshed due to a oil issue turned out to be blockage in oil breather pipe and fault oil pressure sender and now after 20 miles another problem

*cry* *cry*

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Edited by - Tony7 on 28 Feb 2009 16:36:13

David,

Thanks for the kind words. I seem to be having a stream of bad luck with this engine having now over £5k invested in it and coming close to giving it all up. ☹️

I'm booked for Anglesey and Cadwell trackdays, which is all I really want the car for but if I'm never going to get do to one this year I might as well sell up.

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Hi T

Your bad luck seems never to end, I will buy you a pint a week on Wednesday to make you feel better.

May be worth taking the cam cover off to see what the valves are doing on that pot. Compare their movement with the others to see if one is stuck open.

A call to your engine builder on monday for your next move.

Really sorry to hear this and believe it or not it delayed me going to sleep last night as I could not get it out of my head.

Let me know how you get on and if you need to get the engine out quickly give me a shout for an extra pair of hands.

S7MAD

Malc,

I've started taking ancilliaries off the engine and removed cam cover and no obvious signs. I'll remove the head tonight and see what the damage is. I rang DVA and he can probably fit me in in as couple of weeks. Another 400 mile round trip or possibly two ☹️ to take engine/car back is all getting a bit too much. I'll see you on the 11th

Are you well versed in cam timing, if I decide to try and refit head myself?

David,

Thankyou for your kind offer I wished I never bought this engine now Just hope it will be sorted without too much trouble/cost.

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Just an outside idea from someone who had something similar a while ago with a standard MEMS ECU on my 1.4 std K, but after much lead/plug swapping, checking, compression testing and so on I found it needed a replacement ECU. Is there any chance your Emerald may be at fault?

My problem though was 2 cylinders were down so was convinced it was the coil pack, turns out the MEMS wasn't telling the pack to fire. As you have 3 working this leads to a probably different problem, however as your ECU is non-standard maybe it's worth considering though *idea*

Hope its all back on four soon *thumbup*

RW04FUN

RW08FUN

Rich

Thanks for the thoughts but as CageyH says the lack of any compression on no2 cylinder is pretty conclusive. I just hope it is valve/spring related rather than piston and or ring related.

I'm going to take the head off tomorrow night ...wish me luck

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

• 7 months later...