Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Webers Set Too Rich?

virden

I have recently acquired a 1996, factory built S3 1700 Super Sprint. The car is very low milage, is in excellent condition and original specification. It goes very well with expected performance, but on anything bar full throttle it back fires and blows back through the carbs(twin 40 DCOEs) When I stop as well as giving off a very strong smell of petrol, both air filters drip what looks like a mixture of black oil and petrol.

Are the carbs set up too rich? ☹️

• Area Representative

Virden,

Webers generate "stand off" where they create a mist of fuel outside their trumpets when on full throttle and this could easily be the reason for the strong smell of fuel. I think a session on a rolling road would be useful or use the spark plug colour to determine whether the fuelling is too rich or not. I put my Xflow Sprint on a RR and it transformed the car and I had built the car from new and had it checked/setup by a Caterham dealer a little while before.

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC!

Agree. Spitting is too lean. Check the carb balance too.

Other good things to check (perhaps not part of your problems) - are the jets in tight enough? - not too tight (only into ali) but not rattling around. Do the brass just cover top hats have a working air tight gasket?

Are the carbs able to float on the rubber or spring mountings - they don't like engine vibration. Is the 'O' ring plate doing it's job.

Timing at 12-14 deg advance (from memory - please check).

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here