Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What year to you need a cat please?

Anthony

With kit cars that were to be self assembled then if you purchased your complete kit before June 1998 you had 2 years to complete the build and it would still be emissions test excempt.

If you were building from secondhand parts then you needed to prove that the engine was manufactured before 1995.

As regards factory fully built cars I think it may be 1992 but I am not sure.

• Support Team

Depends whether it is kit built or factory built.

A kit built car only needs to pass an emissions test if it is post 1st August 1998 (i.e. passed SVA).

For a factory built car it is more complicated and will depend on the engine that is fitted. Assuming the engine is from the same year as the car then any post 1st August 1992 car will need to pass an emissions test which requires lambda to be between 0.97 and 1.03 - effectively requiring a CAT. Extract from the tester's manual is here.

There are exceptions for some cars - see this flowchart here but I have no idea if any Caterham is on the exceptions list. If it is, then it MAY only need a CAT if it is post 1st August 1995. Searching the VOSA website can usually turn up the information but the full MOT manual is not available on there and the flowcharts are not on the motuk website. There are also exceptions for engines that were not designed to meet the lambda test and again a letter from the manufacturer may be required.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing