Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension - Caterham Trackday Kit

Andy Whittle

I've had my car now for nearly 2 months and the questions are starting to build up, so here's the first of many!

My Suspension

I have struggled to indentify what setup it is in the first place however from these pictures does it look like Caterham's Track Day Spring and Damper Kit? Who manufacturers these for Caterham, is it Bilstein?

Front suspension clicky 4 piccy

Does anybody have this set up because a Blat Chat search wasn't very helpful *rolleyes*

Does this little dial allow the damper to be adjusted, From harder to softer? And which is harder, currently set at 4 all round but I'd like to feel the difference with different settings.

Little dial clicky 4 piccy

Does anybody know how to do it because I can't get it to turn, I don't want to force it!

Thanks *smile*

I am Leg End...

Edited by - andy whittle on 16 Aug 2008 14:51:21

Edited by - andy whittle on 26 Aug 2008 20:44:14

Hi Andy

It does look similar to "Track day spring & damper kit" on CC's shop.

Is the yellow bumpstop pad pushed up out of view behind the top wishbone in your piccy?

The little knob should turn but has detents to hold it in selected position. Don't know how hard it should be to turn - maybe give CC a call to discuss with them. If you want to know what the effect is, try driving car with them set at each extreme of setting (once you have it turning) to find out the effects and then home in on a setting you like to drive with.

Pretty tricky to fully set up adjustables without some kind of consistency test (eg track times) but can still be tuned for ride preferences.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Edited by - 6speedmanual on 16 Aug 2008 23:43:04

Hi Andy

A small company like Caterham Cars ought to be able to put you through to the right person.....

The parts guys are pretty knowledgeable and helpful but I would hope to be able to speak to the engineer who project manages all the suspension set-up for his advice on how to get the best from such a product!

P

ps - sorry I got your name wrong in previous post *redface*

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Edited by - 6speedmanual on 16 Aug 2008 23:42:30

• 2 weeks later...

An update...

I spoke with Caterham, they were very helpful. The solution was simple, the dial is simply very stiff and and held in place by a spring loaded grubscrew, it was suggested that I use pliers to turn it. I did this but found that a small screwdriver could be used too.

The range of adjustment is very large for only 5 settings (CC warned me about this), these are my observations.

Setting 1 - the suspension bounces around a huge amount (very soft), I don't think I would ever use this setting.

Setting 2 - is acceptable for bumpy/rough surface roads but didn't feel good on roundabouts and twisties (soft), felt a bit like my MK1 MX5.

Setting 3 - seems like the best comprimise for my local Dorset roads (firm)

Setting 4 - this was the setting my car was on since I bought it, on some roads my fillings were working loose but it felt like I was cornering on rails (very firm)

Setting 5 - I need a good (and cheap) dentist, more suited to driving on glass or the track, so I'll try this at a track once I get the chance (hard).

So with only 5 setting it's very easy to find one that suits me.

I am Leg End...

Edited by - Andy Whittle on 26 Aug 2008 13:01:21