Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hold the front page - it's 'A' level results day

GTD

This 'pass rate' annoys me *mad*

The majority of employers/universities will only focus on A/B/C grades. Having a pass rate that includes an 'E' grade (approx 34% and below) means nothing to be honest. Stating that the pass rate is 92.7% is misleading in the extreme. 27% of candidates are securing A to C grades (if stats are to be believed). That ain't great. I agree with the argument that that grade barriers are wrongly set; the exams have indeed become coursework biased (onus on school rather than written exam conditions) but by the same token the content is not always easier. At GCSE I think the level has dropped compared to the old 'O' levels. But at A-level I think standards have more or less been maintained. The problem is that teachers are more canny to sussing the exam content nowadays (more INSET offered to ensure that teachers deliver the correct course and thus exam providers can say that more pupils pass with their suite of papers).

Bottom line it is easier for teachers to 'feed' the candidates the needed info for the exam in most (not all) cases.

In my book that is why the exams are failing. Independent learning is disappearing. Students and teachers work together to get through exams - NOT to educate and develop initiative and divergent thought. After all, is that not want parents want...????

Phew - glad that is off my chest 😬

Dave Ardley. White Xflow with Clams

The Bearded Clams

King Clam Of Clam Hill!

NEW Updated Photos here