Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine re-build advice K-series

David M

Ok I am putting back together a k-series engine which I have stripped cleaned etc. but have a couple of questions:

1) VVC head with solid cams (converted) using a distributor, running off an Emerald I have a couple of individual coils is it better to stick to the distributor or go to individual coils? (the coils I have are 1 per 2 cylinder if that is standard and I have the right ones)

2) Gasket set - Is it worth investing in the Payen head gasket? Where is the best source for getting a full set?

3) I am looking at getting a new clutch assembly, this is a 200bhp+ engine would it still use a standard Rover K-series clutch assembly or should I be looking for something specific?

4) How important is it to get every bit of wire wool out of the cylinders... yep cleaned the pistons and have left bits all over, worried if I don't get everything it will cause problems, or will it just blow it all out on the first blat....?

think that's it for now! thanks in advance *smile*

David M

Swapping 140bhp for 207bhp k-series project *smile*

GF04RCE.... every day is a Caterham day!!!! He heee!!... pictures here.

• Support Team

1) Go with the 2 coils (wasted spark) set up - I wish I had and will be converting this winter.

3) Caterham have standardised on one AP clutch for K series cars which will be fine with 200+bhp

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

well I have a VVC (trophy) EU3 engine converted to solid cams (285H) with roller barrels and emerld. Running wasted spark two coil pack EU3 set up and uprated headgasket with no issues so far.

Though to get 200+bhp I assume you have done some porting work as you ain't going to get that with an un-fettled VVC head.

Neil, its had the DVA magic dust sprinkled on it with Scholar block and forged pistons etc. the upgrade was done a few years back, I picked the engine up off ebay (bargain), just needed cleaning out a bit...

The car did 207bhp over at Dave Walkers....

David

*smile*

Dannyboy, that is kind of what I thought, may try washing it all out then finish of with a magnet to try and pick up anything that is left......

Note to self don't use wire wool for cleaning.....

*smile*

Make sure you dry it...water and steel gives rust....not good for oil ways either!

I'd perhaps buy a gallon or two of parafin and wash it with that before assembly, then lightly oil (again before assembly) with that stuff for building an engine up (cam lube?)

but, if in any doubt, call oily - he's the man!

Martin, it was formally James Moon engine but C777 had a bad accident the engine came up on Ebay from the breakers. I managed to get intouch with Neil Moon (James father) and tracked some of the history from DVA all thanks to Blatchat... *smile*

Most importantly he came out of the accident ok!!

David M