Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Defeated by the fuel pump...

akakubi

Man, how annoyed I am now! *mad*

I've done everything like the manual said, filled everything with fluids, checked and re-checked the wiring and all the fuses/relays. Electricity is there - the dash lights up, immobilizer works (although, they forgot to put a fuse in it to make it work in the first place), even the washer works. But the fuel pump would not make a buzz. *confused*

The engine cranked for oil pressure like a charm (sounds beastly by the way 😬). The inertia switch is okay as well. But nothing at the back. Power goes there, I checked (the fuel gauge is on the same connector, reading lower level than actual for some reason...). Then I was thinking, the ground must be bad somewhere. All the ground connections I could find, I sanded to the bare metal or relocated. Even took apart the immobilizer, but was afraid to bypass it (not very smart at electricals). Same for the ignition switch. But again, everything works, except the damn pump... Now, the pump may be defective, but it is brand new, so I suspect there is another ground somewhere, that I cannot find yet.

Calling all R400 Duratec guys. My chassis harness never had an earth lead to the chassis (a big fat black cable described in the manual I presume). It is simply not in the harness (at least not showing through). Maybe this is the cause of the fuel pump not priming. If it is there somewhere, where can I try to look for it?

Sorry for the rant, fellas. And thanks for any help! *wavey*

Okay, thanks! I will need to have a closer look there. Although I do not seem to remember any loose ring terminals... it's just the headlights/markers and the horn cables *confused*

I also have two pairs of wires that do not go anywhere: both pairs have female connectors, one in white protective caps is black/yellow black, and the other is white/brown black. No clue where these go.

It lives!!! 😬

I found the problem. *cool*

The MFU was fine and the wiring and the immobilizer too. It was the third cable going along the MFU leads - the one that ends with a diod. Naturally, mine had nothing in it. It has two positive leads instead of one earth and positive, so I suspected it broke the circuitry for something. After connecting the two contacts, it started up like a charm. *thumbup*

Now I need to get more oil and coolant, as they only sent me one can of each and the oil does not even reach the dipstick.

A happy camper anyway though. 😬

Edited by - akakubi on 3 Jun 2008 09:16:32