Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front indicators loose wire

Ray Stewart

My offside front indicator has stopped working intermittently for some time. I was looking at this last night and found that one of the wires has become detached from the rear of the indicator housing ( black plastic unit under the headlamp). I can't see how I can remove the indicator unit to re-fix the wire.

I've undone the nut on the headlamp but the screws on the front of the indicator unit are rusted and I can't remove them. Anyone know how I can remove the whole headlamp/indicator assembly? Do i need to remove the wires at the loom end or the headlamp end? Would love to have this done by the weekend to attend the Goodwood Breakfast Club!

Many thanks

Ray

The correct way in it to remove the indicator lens and this gives access to 3 (IIRC) screws that hold the indicator unit to the cowling.

See you at the Gribble next week if not at Goodwood on sunday *thumbup*

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the info. Unfortunately these 3 screws have nuts attached at the back of the cowling and these are rusted which means the screws just turn round. I can't get to the top one, hence the need to remove the whole headlamp unit so that I can turn the cowl upside down and get a small spanner in there to hold the nut. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Hopefully I'll get it done in time for Goodwood, assuming we're not covered in snow, if not definitely The Gribble on Wednesday.

Ray

Slot is right, be v careful because the plastic gets very embrittled. Ive just replaced one *mad* disconnecting the loom and feeding wire through hollow bracket is an 🙆🏻 and best avoided.

Think they are soldered so even more of an 🙆🏻. Why not try disconnecting connector block and seeing if that gives you enough slack to move headlamp? Failing that just disconnect block from female side, pull the five wires out of the back of the block, if you use a long nosed set of pliers to push the element from the inside you reduce the risk of dewiring them.

Hi FTH

Many thanks for the info. I finally got the indicator cowl front undone, what a pain that was! Unfortunately the other wire going to the indicator has now come adrift so I'm now going to have to replace the indicator assembly, which means I've got to remove the headlap completely. ☹️ I'm now wondering whether it will be easier to remove the wires from the loom end or the connectors in the headlamp unit itself! One of them must be able to be disconnected otherwise there would be no way of fitting the headlamps. Any ideas which may be easier? *confused* I wan't sure if the comments in your last posting referred to the headlamp unit or the loom end!

Thanks again

Ray

Right, I thought that was what you meant. Are you sure they come out of the connector as they seem pretty tight so far? I'm not sure I can push then from the element side as there are only pins there. I've just had a go again and they seem to be hard-wired into the connector. All I seem to be doing is pulling the covering off the wire. Think I may have to call Caterham on Monday and see how they should come apart.

Thanks again for your help and speedy responses.