Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wishbone Washers

juleslid

Hi from a new member with a new-build Roadsport SV started yesterday. Apologies if this question has been done to death in the past!

Fitting the lower front wishbone, the build manual says the rear leg should have 2 plain washers either side of it BUT 4 EITHER SIDE IF IT IS WIDE TRACK (as mine will be)! There is no way that 4 can be fitted either side of mine unless I get involved in some serious bending (the washers supplied are very thick) so I have put 2 in which still proved to be a tight fit and when torqued up holds the wishbone horizontally with no free play.

Has anybody else come across this dilemma? Could it be a problem at the SVA test later?

Needless to say, I noticed this just after factory closing time on Saturday!

Ta for any thoughts you have...

Standard for an S3 chassis is 2-2-2 at the respective spacing locations (behind front and either side of rear wishbone leg), including widetrack. Can't comment for SV.

Only a problem for SVA if you don't fasten the bolts up or if you don't shim the gaps at all!

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

• Area Representative

juleslid,

Welcome to Blatchat

so I have put 2 in which still proved to be a tight fit and when torqued up holds the wishbone horizontally with no free play

That's OK, but the recommended method is to not tighten any of the suspension bushes until the engine is and the car is sitting on its wheels.

The centre of the bushes should be fixed solid it the chassis and the rubber distorts to allow the components to move.

You don't need to be too paranoid about this. Provided there is no slack, all the numbers of washers in front and behind does is to adjust the castor. If you got this a long way out, I would still bet you would not be able to tell the difference. When you first start building these cars it all seems daunting, but even if you make some big mistakes, they will sort you out anyway at the post build check.

Have you been to the Caterham web site and downloaded the latest version of the build manual? Although it's not obvious this is updated from time to time and has helped me a couple of times. The latest version appears to say that you need 4 behind and none in front.

See my Build Cam for progress on the Roadsport Sigma build. Now with photos!