Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wire on heated windscreen advice please

Barry Thompson

Autoglass just fitted new screen and left the blue passenger side Caterham screen wire dangling.

This wire becomes live when ignition and screen switch on, fitter couldn't find the wire to connect it to, although there is an obvious loose black wire nearby coming out of the wiring loom with a bullet connector on the end, this wire stays dead. Do I connect the blue and black wire together. Fitter said connected drivers side wire ok.

I am not technical, but want to get the screen heater working without damaging anything.Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the bullet conenctor is the negative side of the screen circuit, but to be sure, do you have a resistance meter / multimeter?

If so, measure the resistance between the bullet and the battery negative, and if it is a couple of ohms or less (ie shorted / connected together) then you can connect it tot the loose screen wire.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

*idea* Alternatively, can you trace the wire from the bullet connector - there is a chassis earth connection behind/above the passengers left knee, underneath/behind and at the end of the dash, and i suspect it will be wired back to there.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets 😳

Many thanks,I have a multimeter,but am sorry to say,do not understand it.I have a simple light up screwdriver with an earth wire attatched.my car is a 1990 super sprint . the last car I touched was a sprite in 1970 due to company cars . the black loose wie gets lost in the loom .if I conect the 2 wires ,the blue live screen wire with the dead black loose car wire can I try it without sparks or damage,. The light on the screen switch works ok .again thanks

Barry, my only concern would be whether the screen is fed from the right or the left on your car (I'm not even sure which it is on mine!).

The bullet connector could be a switched live feed from the heater switch, or the floating earth end of the screen - which will show up as 'live' as well.

Does your light up screwdriver measure 12v? (is that waht you used to indicate that the bullet connector was 'live'?).

If so, with the ignition and screen switch on, check the drivers side connecton to the screen (the one that you have already connected).

If that is live (and goes off with the screen switch) then, barring any other faults, the screen is fed from the drivers side.

The 'spare' bullet connector at the passenger side is therefore the 'earth' and can be connected to the screen. *thumbup*