Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure problem?

TomB

I got my 1.4 K Supersport yesterday from Caterham midlands & have done about 200 miles in it by this evening. I have my first problem. My temp gauge works intermittantly so I think there is a dodgy connection somewhere in the dash. Driving this afternoon, I touched a wire beneath the dash & the oil pressure gauge died & the oil warning light came on. No fluid is leaking & it appears to run OK. Had a fiddle with the dash & get the dial to work, but the oil light doesnt go out.

It has just been serviced by Caterham. It is dry sumped. I have found the oil tank on top of the gearbox, but I cant find any indication

of the correct oil level (no dipstick or graded scale etc).

Pressure is indicated around 1.5 - 2 bar. When I picked it up it was around three. There is no oil dripping from the engine

Could the oil just needs topping up following its change during service?

Should I trust the dashboard? Put more oil in & see what happens? Drive it slowly to a agent?

Need to fix it tomorrow if possible.

Edited by - TomB on 5 May 2002 19:54:43

Edited by - TomB on 5 May 2002 19:57:40

Tom

I'd look first for a little after market service, give Caterham a call and see what they say. Sounds like you have a loose connection but not worth taking any risk when it comes to oil pressure. If you have a Caterham dry sump system the dipstick is in the top cap of the tower on the bell housing. There is a procedure for checking oil, you need to run the car until the engine is warm and then check the oil within 30sec of turning the engine off.

A better bet is fill until the system blows any excess into the catch tank. The pipe from the side of the tower goes to the catch tank - with the dry sump system, checking is a pain so a little overfilling and then allowing the system to find its own level is what I do.

It's normal for the oil pressure to read higher when the oil is cold and then drop away once it's warm, especially at idle. I don't know the correct figures for your engine, hopefully someone will post who does.

I'd say you have simply a wiring problem though, but it's worth checking a few things before any bank holiday blat.

A blown fuse in the dash was the answer! A 7.5 amp where there should have been a 10. On the subject of oil level, I asked Caterham & they said it should be at the bottom of the oil tank that sits on the gearbox. i havnt been able to find a dipstick or any kind of graded scale though.

Going to scare my dad tonight.....;-)

Cheers Count.