Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4SS

Andy Lef

Would greatly appreciate all info on 1.4SS, tech and driving. Am recent purchaser of K reg BRG, ex track, 12K on clock, good all round condition. It has just been cleaned and had feresh aior blown into it by Midway Motors, Yelland. Due to novice like knowledge any useful tips and info sought. Looking forward to summer driving, to date have only experienced wet and windy.. Must be nails...or nuts...

Andy,

What kind of info do you want??? I bought mine about 6 months ago and have to say that they are fantastic vehicles. Things you may like to consider...

1) they do run better on Optimax.

2) you only hit the power band after 4500 revs. If you're lucky you've got a car with a 6 speed box which makes good use of this.

3) Best oil to use is Mobil 1 15/50

Let me know if you want any more info.

Have fun.

Rob, Thanx for your info, all tips useful! Only have a 5 spd box, how much difference does a 6 spd actually make? Have had mine for about 6 months as well but have yet had the oppotunity to get to know it v well. HMF keeps me v busy at the mo. Will not see the car until July and am taking it to France for a run out. Essentially the knowledge needed revolves around problem areas and best ways to maintain those pain in the butt areas that seem to always turn up when you either least expect them or because the car is a K reg.

Andy,

the nice thing about the 1.4ss is that they tend to be pretty bullet proof (lots of threads on this site seem to indicate this).

6 speed box does make a real difference to the 1.4 because all the power is in the last 2000 revs. The five speed is more suited to touring, and for cars with a more even spread on the power-band.

From what I understand, if the engine and gearbox oils are regularly checked and changed, you should have very little to worry about. Even if the engine does disintegrate, you can pick up a 1.4ss engine for about £500!

Needless to say that if you drive on the continent they do have some odd requirements (some countries require you to have warning triangles, first aid kits, spare bulb kits and the like) so do check.

A lot of 1400SS were built for road / racing, might be worth checking if you have LSDiff. Jack rear up, turn rear wheel and the other wheel will turn in the same dirrection.

(Took me a year to find out I had one !)

PS do a search on "1400" in the archives for a LOTTA information.

Edited by - tony isherwood on 10 May 2002 11:38:55

Jerry,

Based in Plymouth, but tend to move around (overseas) a lot with work. Lydford sounds as though it would be a good idea. How often are the meets (summer time or all yera round?) Not a real pblm though what's a little wet for a great drive..Where are you based?

Andy