Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carrying Luggage

happylarry

I am in the process of removing the rear wheel and rear wheel carrier, for aesthetic reasons (and weight saving). However, this means that I will be unable to use the luggage rack that straps to the rear wheel.

As I regularly use the car for touring ,2 up, for up to 10 days at a time, whatever you say, I'm going to need more than one case. The car is live axle, so the 'boot' ain't even that deep!

Has anyone heard of an owner fabricating a carrier that doesn't use the rear wheel? Help required before Le Sept!!

Last time Le Sept went to Dijon I got a puncture and was very pleased I had a spare wheel. If I had to fabricate a rack without the wheel holder I would use the rear roll bar braces as the fixing points and let it hang against a rubber buffer strip at the bottom - but then I like my spare.

If you are chopping off the spare wheel carrier you could be able to either tap the stumps to accept a 'bolt-on' rack or have a rack made with 'male' protrusions on the bottom cross piece which insert into the 'female' tube stumps and a grub screw / clamp used to retain in place - with the spare wheel retaining bolt threaded boss used as a third fixing. A triangular bit of bent and welded tube with suitable fold down platform for cases wouldn't be too hard to draw up and get fabricated by a local jobbing shop. In fact you'd possibly be best off just finding a fabricator and showing him the back of the car, the size of the case and getting them to design it for you.

Depending on the age of the car you might have two watts linkage bushes at the back, beside the petrol tank ends on each side. Your rack could sweep up under the rear of the car to attach to these and the swrb used as a third point.

Piers

My Dad's just emerged from the garage with a rather smart little system that hooks over the back of the body and then attaches itself with straps to the chassis under the petrol tank. Send me an e-mail and I'll try and send you a couple of photos (send him a cheque and he'll probably make you one wink.gif)