Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Boing boing boing

John E

Well bottoms and things are mostly sorted. Many thanks to all who have contributed to saving my exhaust system from the ravages of the tarmac. It seems that my current rear springs are rated at 70 and the front at 100. Not enough the experts say. Better the rears at 130 and fronts at 200 for road use. I spent a few hours with a delightful man yesterday discussing my suspension. Allan Staniforth of Terrapin fame measured the rates and put me straight on a number of things. What a character. If you have a suspension set up issue contact him, he charges for his time but hell it was worth it. He offers a full setting up service and can be contacted on 01423 711228. I can also recommend his book, Competition Car Suspension. Thanks Andrew for giving me Allans name and mumber and apologies for subjecting you to difficult questions from your wife about my bottoms e mail.

John,

I followed your traumas with interest, as I am considering swapping my rear exit exhaust for a comp one on my X-flow. What dampers did you eventually go for?

I have the spax dampers on my car, but the ride height can't be adjusted. The measurement at the rear wheel arch seems to be around 145 to 150mm. The springs at the rear are soft, according to a couple of chaps at Le Mans, after lots of pushing the cars rear end up and down and sharp intakes of breath. I've considered buying the Leda shocks from James Whitting.

Rgds, Robert

I've got standard Spax adjustables on mine which I'm going to run at 0-2 clicks all round with new 130 springs on the back and 200-220 on the front. It seems that the first 6 or so clicks really do the work and above that the impact tails off. The current ride height on my car with a 20mm spacer on top of the rear spring support collar is 150mm measured just in front of the rear wheel arch. Until I fit the new springs I wont know whether or not to reduce or increase the spacer. Adjustable platforms would be the ideal but I frankly ran out of cash but having said that the configuration of Spax adjustables and the correct rate of spring should be ok for the road and occasional track days. I believe that above 150-180 on the rear you begin to loose traction with live axle cars but I imagine that at that rate your backside would be sort of numb anyway. I'm not convinced that it is necessary to spend mega money to get these sorted. My meeting with Guru Staniforth yesterday has convinced me of that.

John,

Glad to hear that you located Allan's home in the Hills and enjoyed the encounter. I rather thought that he would be able to sort you out, one way or another. I can certainly endorse your whole hearted recommendation of his knowledge re suspension and handling. He's no mean driver either despite his age!

Hope the new springs resolve the 'bottom' problem!

My wife has accepted your expanation and is now talking again!

Is that good or bad???

Keep in touch,and let me know the final outcome.....

Re Oulton in August, certainly sounds good...let me know more nearer the time, and perhaps we could meet up there.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew. Yes its good to talk even if the subject is bottoms. The Oulton meeting for Superlights is listed as August 26-28 which includes the bank holiday. I will try to identify exactly which are the days or day to go and will let you know. There could be a few of us as some of the nutters from the Merseyside group have expressed an interest as has one of my neighbours who runs a new k series.

John,

As you know, I am a escaped 'Scouser' and ex-member of the MAD Group, in fact I was one of the original owners who established the meetings! It would be good to meet up with some old friends at Oulton in August as well as some new ones. We always used to park up on the hill overlooking the Avenue, and the run down to Cascades. A good viewing spot. Let me know your final plans either through this forum, e mail or phone.

Happy Bottoms?

Andrew