Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pace corner weight gauge. What is the bore of the piston?

CAB

Hello

I have access to a PACE corner weight gauge (0-1000Lbs). Does anyone know what the bore diameter is (to work out the bore area) as I do not have any instructions with it? I assumed that the area of the bore was 1 sq/In therefore if the gauge showed 300 Lb/sqIn the weight was 300Lbs.

I have disconnected the anti-roll bars (front and rear) and I am pulling a peice of thin flat plastic out from under the wheel to indicate when the wheel is clear of the ground. I have also made up some levelling pads so that the car is on a flat surface. Even if the pads were slightly out I would expect the weight on each wheel to equal the weight of the car. At the moment the total weight is 1430 Lbs, I estimate it should be no more than 1199 Lbs: Caterham Superlight (no driver) = 490 Kg + 20 Kg (windscreen + heater) + 20Kg (spare wheel + carrier) + 15 Kg (fuel) = 545 kg x 2.2 = 1199 Lbs.

Anyone with a set of instructions out there?

Regards

CAB

Chris,

Why not bring your car along to the Millwood open day Sunday the 22nd July, corner weight scales are usually available FOC. I have no experience of the Pace gauge. You could ring Pace Products on tel 01440 760960

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 10 Jul 2007 10:10:29

As the gauge works by lifting the relevant wheel off the ground the load indicated would be higher than you would get on a set of scales with the wheels in their 'normal' position. Consequently the total of the four values will be higher than the car's weight.

Hello Gents

I saw the advert in the comic for the Millwood day after spending a week making up some levelling pads for the garage floor. I'll bring it long to see how far out I am....

I emailed PACE and had a very quick reply from Neil. It looks as if I'm using it correctly (level surface, anti roll bars disconnected, shim under the wheel to indicate when it is lifted just clear of the ground). He has confirmed the weight will be more than the total of the car; as you lift one side you compress the other. The gauge is for comparing each corner relative to the others. I have ballasted the car as if I'm in it so hopefully it shouldn't be too far out.

Cheers

CAB