Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4SS Throttlestop

Rory McLeod

Hi.

I have a 2 month old (to me) 1995 K series 1.4SS injection. When I follow the throttle cable through to the intake I can see what I think is the butterfly nut turning through about 75 degrees before the cam thingy (you can see I am REAL technically minded) hits the stop (which is a bent bit of metal - not precision machined).

I REALLY want to file about 5 mm off this stop so that I get a full 90 degrees of movement i.e. max air flow through to the engine.

2 Questions.

Do I need to have the EMS recalibrated to accomodate this type of modification, as it seems to my inept way of thinking that at the peak of each power surge I will get a new configuration due to much more air being available than it was originally set for.

Am I going to get more 'oomph' by doing this or will it run the same just with additional petrol costs :-(

Will I bug*er up my engine.

Sorry thats 3 questions I guess. Earliest replies much appreciated coz I MUST tinker and can only wait till Sunday before the itch to modify gets too severe.

All advice/critcism gratefully received.

Edited by - Rory McLeod on 22 Jul 2000 00:09:07

Speak to 'Arrowstar' in Bicester, Oxon. They should be able to help. I'm of the opinion that the butterfly flap needs to have a slight angle on it 1) To swirl the intake air & 2) to enable it to shut down agin without having to overcome the airflow running equally on both sides of the butterfly flap.

Hi Chris.

Well I e-mailed arrowstar but have not had a reply yet, didnt want to phone as they must get loads of queries like mine.

I have decided to check the opening and just experiment by increasing the intake area incrementally.... just wot I like, seat of the pants mechanics.

Incidentally I now have this mental picture of meeting this ostensibly nice couple at an event one day and on being introduced, getting socked around the head by an irate Suzi.. :)

All Suzi asks is "Has that nice Rory man been in contact again?"

I have always just 'phoned Arrowstar & always had friendly courteous replies/answers. They actually now use the building that my old Co. (Chiltern Medical) owned until a couple of years ago in Bicester. More useless info.!

Hi Chris.

Well I simply bent the throttlestop back and adjusted the throttle cable so that with the foot hard down the flap was set at about 89 degrees.

Unfortunately when I went to test it on Tuesday (at 4-30am driving from Croyden via Biggin hill to Dartford) I was pulled by those friendly chaps in the white cars and with blue lights.

As i had been pushing it down the lanes thinking he was racing me (it was just getting light) I thought I was judge-meat.

Said gentlemen and I quote "were parked in Biggin hill and heard you tanking it down the lanes - just watch it"

After that I havent really tested it to the max however I get the feeling it goes 'off-song' at the high end of the revs. Will let you know more...

Incidentally the Suzi Seven who is getting all jealous of my admiration for Anna is NOT, repeat NOT your Suzi and so there is no need to be jealous and beat me up at the Farm BBQ !!!

Sorry to hear it goes off song, but I do sometimes think that the manufacturers have 'been down that road' long before we get the things so leave alone. On the other hand---------! Keep us posted.

P.S Suzi Seven,(the one stood behind me at present!)asks "what are you wittering on about. She is the one & only----OK" !!!!!!!!!

Chris: Arrowstar mailed me back with the answer to the Throttlestop query;

The official verdict from us and from Caterham is that it will make no difference to power output so leave well alone.

I guess that answers the question.

Edited by - Rory McLeod on 6 Aug 2000 22:03:49

• 5 weeks later...

Guys

The answer is very simple, when this Throttle body was used on Rover engines it was used on 1.4 to 2.0 Litre (the only difference being the disc opens fully on a 2.0 liter engine (T series) My 1.4 SS has always run on a 2.0 litre throttle body, whether or not it give more power I don't know but I prefer the driveability !!! No it won't bugger up either the engine or the MEMS ecu and if you don't want the lever to go rusty find youself a 2.0 litre 820 (with Grill) and take the throttle lever off it and fit it to your car (also fitted to old shape 220 GTi's GSi and 420 GTi's and GSi's- with grills)

Hope this helps