Click here if you are having website access problems ×

petrol smell

The Badger

Keith,

Is there any evidence of dampness underneath? Pinholes have been known to occur where the bottom of the tank sits on the chassis at the rear due to rubbing. There should be some rubber between tank and chassis mounts.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

• 4 weeks later...

Nick Green you win the golden award.............the weld on the middle size pipe (ie not the main fillier pipe, or the very small overflow pipe) is leaking!! - about to mail John Howe for a sollution.....but all other comments are wellcome (I was thinking about bubble gum around the joint as it worked sorting out the leaks in my mates canoe *confused* Please dont say 'New Tank' *cry*

Freestyle 2.3 Duratec....P2YKE

Keith,

If I understand which pipe this is then it's not part of the main tank. The filler with it's breather/overflow pipes is a separate part connected to the tank via a hose and jubilee clips. So much cheaper than buying a new tank and perhaps more weldable.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Cheers *smile*

For sealing the gap on mine, I used araldite. There were mixed answers when I asked on BC if that was sensible. So far so good, anyway.

New filler necks are about 50 quid. It should be perfectly ok to remove it and take it to a welding person.

BTW, the tube that was leaking on mine was neither of the ones Keith was mentioning, but another small tube, that was connected by a rubber hose to the top of the fuel tank (as mentioned by RobW above). Anyone any ideas what use it serves ? It has been deleted from later cars, so perhaps that answers my question. Couldn't get an answer out of Caterham when I asked if I could block it off, anyway. Car is a 99 K-engined job.

Edited by - Nick Green on 16 Jul 2007 10:34:20

HI Steve - thanks for your comments - sadly the 'failed weld' is on the tank not the other side of the rubber pipe - Millsn - how can I check to see if the breather is working ok? - this is the very small pipe where the rubber pipe ends up under the chassis is'nt it?

Freestyle 2.3 Duratec....P2YKE