Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Laminova mixing oil and water!!!

The Polisher

I have just cut short a Scotland tour due to a second hand Laminova that I have just fitted leaking internaly and hence adding water to my oil. *mad* I hopefully stopped running and got recovered home before any permenant damage was done to the engine. ☹️

Does anyone have first hand experience of the internal construction of the Laminova and how the leak is likely to be caused?

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

• Leadership Team

Dave, I've not taken one apart but looking at the images on Think Auto's website, the internal matrix appears to be a tube with multiple longitudinal holes through the wall, surrounded by heat-transfer fins. It is not immediately clear whether oil or coolant passes through the holes, but my guess is it's coolant to provide the heating/cooling effect via the fins. Main bore will be there to prevent restriction of the coolant flow.

The two fluids will be kept apart by seals at the ends - maybe if you remove the end plates there may be evidence of a breakdown of one of the seals?

Laminova page

Laminova images

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Edited by - sforshaw on 17 Jun 2007 12:09:37

Thank you all *thumbup*

I have taken it apart and found it much as you describe Stu. Although the seals look in good order there are some axial scratches on one end of the main matrix where it contacts the '0' ring which have probably been done with a sharp implement when previously dismantled. These are probably causing the leak and I should be able to polish them out.

I will keep you informed.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

As a precaution I decided to remove the cam cover to clean out any mayonaise lurking about before I flush out the engine with flushing oil. There was an omount of slush but nothing too alarming but what amazed me was the small piece of the sump type foam that surrounds the entry from the appolo breather. As soon as I tried to move it it fell into a million pieces the size of tea leaves. *confused*

I have removed the foam from my sump last year although I have never had any problems with it and had convinced myself that it was elevated temperatures that caused its reported deterioration. Despite my Laminova problem the oil and water temperatures remained constant at 80 degrees on my gauge (probably a true 90 degrees). So, is it not the temperature of the oil but the presence of water and hence steam that destroys the foam?

I think I will drop the sump to see if any bits have found their way to the oil pickup. 😔

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Dave,

Oil and coolant is a potential foam-killer - mine went that way. Totally destroyed the sump foam in 70 miles from new.

Not convinced that it is water and steam that's the issue - I'd favour a chemical reaction/mix, myself - doesn't really matter - result is the same.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles, I am glad I had already dumped the sump foam then! I think I will drop the sump to check if any of the bits have found their way into the oil pick up.

Andy, that is a good point. What does the lump of foam in the cam cover do? *confused* Does anyone else run without it?

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS