Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak from Speed Sensor

jthompson88

I noticed a small amount of oil left on the garage floor after my 7 had been stationary for a week or so and have now discovered that its a very small leak coming from the speedo sensor where it attaches to the gearbox.

everything is in place - top hat and circlip looks ok but there is some play on the top hat.

has anyone had this problem? or is it not worth worrying about as it's such a small amount lost?

it's a 5 speed box attached to a 1.8 k series inside an SV chassis & still under 1,000 miles.

S7 JKT

Could be a great idea for a new forum within Blatchat, just one big list of tadts 😬.

If you do want to bother changing the seal, it is about £2 from Ford, you can do it in situ albeit a bit fiddly - and of course no guarantee that it will stop the leak!

For a short while only - the Silverstone grid girls here (and a few nice cars!)

Wightblat 2007 pictures here

Can you elaborate on 'a bit fiddly' please.

ie. what has to be removed? The car was a self build and I dont recall a seal so can only assume it was in the gearbox already. Just how difficult are these to replace?

knowing just how much space there is under there I dont imagine this is going to be a 30 minute job!

S7 JKT

I had the same problem and hate oil drips, however small. Took the car to Mick Attree who sorted that one (fiddly job I think) plus another I had from the plate under the bell housing.......no drips now!!!

You would have fitted the seal during prep of the gearbox unless CC did it for you for some reason.

You need to remove the speedo drive sensor, then the circlip holding in the brass 'top hat' - the seal is under here. You remove it by destroying it - carefully push somethin small and sharp through it (eg a small screwdriver) and then lever it out - take care not to score the gearbok mating surface. It is fiddly on 2 counts - firstly not much space to work in, you can make a few mm more by loosening the gearbox mount and pushing the gearbox across a bit, secondly - the old seal can be a right bu99er to get out. Mine was easyish but I know some people on here found it very hard. Took me half hour tops IIRC.

Mine hasn't leaked since - but then mine never leaked in the first place (why I changed it is a bit of a story but lets just say it was on CCs advice).