Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IAVC again...

Ivaan

I pulled out the IACV on my 1.6K last night to clean it...( tickover was fast...).

Just to find out how / if it was working, I pushed the piston into the housing. It didn't return, so I pulled it back out.......too hard...the piston and slotted pin/screw came right out....opps! It went back together okay, but there was some sealant/soft compound on the pin...presumeably to hold it into the motor ( assume it's some sort of electric step motor affair ).

Problem now is can I trust the IAVC.....Can the piston come out into the plenium and enter the engine? *eek*

I have re-installed it, and the engine appears to run fine...but thinking about the above, should it be replaced??

I made the mistake of turning the ignition on with the IACV removed from it's housing but still wired into the loom. Ping - sees piston and spring disappear across the garage.

Put it back together and all was well. As to the piston entering the plenum, it would have to get round a tight 90 degree bend first so no worries there.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear