Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlamp brackets

Phil

I have seen on ebay and other cars the headlamp brackets that are held in the usual place under the nose cone then come out to the base of the headlamp then to the upper wishbone bolt.

I am converting from clams and I wish to replace mine with the ones described.

The question is will they fit my car?

I have a 1990 DD 1700 super sprint and the top wish bone is X style old set up.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

• Leadership Team

No. You're describing the latest type and it is not possible to mount the forward facing leg onto the suspension on your car. The version you need was used up to 1996 and is the first half of what you describe, ie. no forward leg. Do a search because I think the actual item codes were discussed on BC not too long ago.

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Thank you.

I have just received mine and I was disappointed that they look just like the old ones which I could just cut off, I was expecting the new style, anyway I feel a little bit better know.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

Phil

Do you have the ones with the bent sheet metal indicator holder or ones that rely on a plastic indicator pod?

I got some headlamp brackets (from peter T) that are the pod style but without the forward facing leg thus are universal fit.

The lamps do wobble with X-flow vibration ☹️

I am hoping it will be easy to make up a forward facing leg (strip of Alloy/steel) that bolts one end to the headlamp bolt and the other end to the suspension mount.

N

Do you have the ones with the bent sheet metal indicator holder or ones that rely on a plastic indicator pod? YES

I have also been supplied with new indicators and I would have thought these are larger than the pod style units.

Installing a Zetec right now, so i may not have as much vibration 😬

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

OK, forget the previous threads on this topic. You CAN get headlamp brackets from Arch that will work on pre '96 chassis that replace the old 3-sided square style sheet metal brackets.

They fit into the usual 2 bolt headlamp clamp at the back, and onto the single bolt that holds the top wishbone and top of damper (this is single fixing on pre '96)

Bruce supplied these for my circa '92 car.

But be careful....

1) Bruce has (at least) 2 types. The angle and length of the front leg varies. The other type is believed to be for an earlier (possibly X-flow) car. They are very similar.

2) You will need a slightly longer bolt to accomodate the headlamp bracket along with the damper along with the upper wishbone and still get the nyloc on; but not too long or you won't have clearance against the body to get it in. I think I ended up grinding a

3 3/4" bolt back to about 3 5/8"

Let me know if I can help further.

Andy.

I did, but my post may not have been clear enough...

You CAN get headlamp brackets with a forward facing leg that will work on a pre '96 car.

It goes on to describe peculiarities of the forward facing leg.

One other thing, the new type sit a couple of inches further forwards and change the look a little (if thats important).

I've got a 1990 De Dion X Flow with the old type front suspension and recently changed to the bar type headlamp brackets but, like stated above, they don't have the forward leg.

The X Flow vibration doesn't make the headlights vibrate much except a little on tickover perhaps, but then my headlights are the smaller 3 1/2" dia jobbies.

You can see them on the photos link in my signature below.

KAP

Green Gold Gobbler Photos