Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake bias...........

Martin S.

Has anyone else noticed the front to rear bias change as the brakes warm up?

One of the first jobs I did when I got my 7 was to fit an adjustable rear limiter as they locked up far to early. I can now set up the balance nicely but it varies quite a bit as everything hots up. Don't think there's any particular cure but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

Dedion 2Ltr Zetec

Martin, I was interested in your fitting of a brake bias control. Last year I changed my front discs for a larger pair, and installed Pagid pads all round, as well as a couple of other mods, but I'm now having trouble with the fronts locking up under extreme braking, so I reckon I need a bias control to reduce the pressure on the front. How difficult was it, where exactly did you put the valve and is it adjustable from the cockpit? Oh yes, what sort of price was it?

Hi Paul,

The valve I fitted is an Aldon adjustable screw type (item 4, P240 of the Demon Tweeks catalogue, £46.83, or a modified one off the rear of an old mini!).

It's fitted below the master cylinder with the adjustable bit sticking through a hole punched in the bulkhead (so I can adjust it from the driving seat) with a grommet fitted, and is bolted down to the horizontal bit of the bulkhead.

There are 2 outlets on my master cylinder, one to the front and one to the rear brakes. I got my local garage to disconnect the rear pipe from the cyl and re-pipe via the valve. It was quite an easy job but is fiddly as there's not much room to play with, they did also have a bit of trouble finding the correct pipe unions.

Martin.

Dedion 2Ltr Zetec