Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Which drill chuck ?

MonkeyBoy

Hi,

Sorry this is a bit random i'm afraid! I have a Clarke bench top drill press, unfortunatly the chuck only takes drill bits up to 13mm, but i need to drill a hole with a 15.25 drill bit. I have started looking at getting a larger chuck though i don't know if it's possible - is it possible ot get a chuck with a JT33 fitting that will take up to a 16mm drill bit ??

I've had a look on the web and can't find any, in which case i guess i'll have to replace the arbor as well *confused*

Cheers

Alistair

Rather than going to the expence of looking for a new chuck system for your drill do a search for blacksmith(s) type drill bits. You may find that they are only available in regular sizes though. They have the smaller shank.

Pretty sure you wont get a blacksmiths drill at 15.5, what you need is a shell drill. Ruko which is a German firm make them, easily available, although I have a horrible feeling that they start at about 16mm. If it's thin material you are drilling how about a cone cutter or step drill?.

...alternatively, buy a 15.25mm standard drill and get the shank turned down to 1/2" - the shanks are left soft so that they can be adapted for different uses. Needs to be done accurately though as you don't want any excessive run-out on the tip.

*thumbup*

Peter

Red Roadsport SV

FP53FHB

Edited by - bat flattery on 2 Mar 2007 13:03:20