Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First Track Day

Northern Banana

The day of reckoning beckons, after a year of taunting South Bucks motorists - I have taken the plunge and arranged my first track day at Brands 17th August.

Can anyone help with a couple of queries.

Do you know if a 1.6k Superlight, with a non-cat 4into1 competition exhaust, will pass the required noise tests at Brands. If not is there any alternative than fitting a bigger diameter silencer box? I currently have a 5inch diameter box.

Also, are most motorbike helmets valid for trackday and sprint use?

Any help would be appreciated to avoid a wasted trip.

Thanks.

I have a non cat 4:1 exhaust on my 1.6K Supersport (rather than Superlight) and have had no problems at circuits so you should be fine; mine measured 90 something at Castle Combe recently.

You can fit a 'Supertrap' which is a bit like a Kenny Ball trumpet muffler and attaches to the end of the exhaust with a jubbly clip I think. I dare say if you need one, Brands will point you to a local supplier.

Motorbike helmets are fine for trackdays (never known them checked anyway) but not so sure about sprints. 'Proper' car helmets are Nomex lined, ie fire retardant, wheras bike helmets are not.

Have fun!

Brands don't tend to be fussed about noise, unlike places like Castle Combe & Goodwood. I've done several track days there this year & have had no problems with my VX HPC with 4:1 competition exhaust with 5" silencer. In fact compared to some of the other machinery they allow on, I've sounded almost local-council-friendly.

Mike

I am another Brands "trackdayer" and can confirm that I have never been noise checked. Mike is also right, your Supersport will probably seem pretty tame on the noise front compared to some of the equipment on show. Also, I have never had my helmet checked either. However, if you are concerned about either of these things, I suggest contacting the organisers of your day.

Regards, Andy

My superlight is the same spec as yours and records a regular 97 Db so noise shouldnt be a problem .

With helmets , buy the best spec you can afford as you only get one chance to find out if its any good !! .

You should be looking for a lable " BS6658-85 " or Snell SA - 95 , these can be used for motorsport competition .

Have fun and let us know how you get on >