Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spring / damper replacement

grover

I've recently purchased LEDA adjustable dampers and springs and hoping to eventually get them on the car this week (all 4 corners). I'm reasonably handy with a set of spanners but not when it comes to cars. Is this an easy(ish) job and something I can do in my garage over the weekend? Any tips you could offer would be appreciated. Ta!

Assuming it's a de dion car of modern vintage then:

Fronts are quite simple but there is a distinct possibility that the bottom shock mounting bolts are seized in the wishbone. Get out there now and smother the head of the allen bolt (back leg of the wishbone) in penetrating oil and see if you can get some on the threaded bit of the bolt in the front leg (that will depend how worn or soft the existing bushes are). Then hopefully it will be easier to turn when you come round to doing it later in the week. Only other hints are to take the weight of the upright and wiggling it around when removing the bolts, thats only if its pre 1996 where the top damper bolt also locates the top wishbone.

Rears are even easier. Four bolts and it's done.

Andy,

Where did you get your Leda's. I am from washington DC USA, and I was in the UK last February a year ago and saw them at James Whitings shop. He was super nice there and I bought a few odd and ends. But a few months later I emailed him about getting some for me twice and I got no respose, so I was wondering who you got them from and a name of someone to deal with. A phone number would be good too. How much did they set you back? Have you got them on now and what do you think of them compared to the old shocks (what were they)

Thanks a ton

Richard Gibson

Washington DC.