Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My Bits Are Falling Off

Anthony Micallef

I have only owned the car for 3 weeks now and the following things have fallen off!

1) Rear view mirror

2) Leather strap in centre of side screen

3) Rear number plate

What would you recomend for 1+3? I tried some sticky pads from Halfrauds for the mirror but it just fell off again. Should I fix the plate on with screws? Where can I get the small nut to screw the strap back on? Is it just a case of going to my local hardware store and buying something that fits?

At last I own one teeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

For the mirror I use super glue on my car and a friends... both

mirrors still attached. Clean the surfaces with aceton (leave the sticky pad on) and then hold / clamp the mirror on for long enough...

Sticky pads should be fine for numberplate to rear panel if there is enough smooth flat surface. Again clean both surfaces thoughly. If it's too the spare wheel holder then you have less

area but it should still work... On the front number plate I think sticky pads is pushing it a bit. Due to the air pressure forces.. I used nylon rear wing bolts that were spare from the rear wing bolt conversion....

The pads from Halfords are fine for the rear view mirror. You need to ensure the glass and mirror are clean, and warm the area up before applying. FWIW I wouldn't point my paint stripper hot air thing at a small area of the windscreen and turn it up to 11, a milder approach is called for.

The same with the rear number plate, the sticky pads are sticky enough.

Paul

Anthony,

1. If you have side mirrors then just ditch the rear view mirror as they just obscure your forward vision and add weight, if you do want to keep it then I agree with Paul - it works if done carefully.

3. If your number plate was held on with adhesive then eventually there is a fair chance it may fall off especially if exposed to prolonged rain. I lost one a few years ago in Le Man. The best fix for a normal rear plate is Plastic Nuts & Bolts.

I got rid of my standard plate and fitted a stick on yellow background with black letters.

Regards

Robert

Anthony,

1. If you have side mirrors then just ditch the rear view mirror as they just obscure your forward vision and add weight, if you do want to keep it then I agree with Paul - it works if done carefully.

3. If your number plate was held on with adhesive then eventually there is a fair chance it may fall off especially if exposed to prolonged rain. I lost one a few years ago in Le Man. The best fix for a normal rear plate is Plastic Nuts & Bolts.

I got rid of my standard plate and fitted a stick on yellow background with black letters.

Regards

Robert

Anthony,

Regards

Robert

I found that on the number plate it takes thick pads or a couple of pads otherwise the surrounding metal work works against the pads.

The little door straps, you can get the bit from Caterham for next to nothing.

Checking bits in the car will be a life long hobby, I have already had to tighten up no end of bits on a brand new car.

Halfrauds sell a different type of rear view mirror sticky that'll allow the rvm to hold curries etc if need be.

It comes as a "kit" with a small tube of glue that looks like superglue, and a piece of mesh ("activated" apparently).

It works brilliantly, much better than the pads IME as the mirror still doesn't fall off when the car gets damp (the pads always give way eventually). They do their own version on a Loctite (I think) branded one. I've always used the latter to date but both look identical (and probably are).

As with all stickiness things, the surfaces need to be properly clean. Meths is pretty good for this. Whisky tastes better. I popped into a no. plate place and they gave me some foam pads for the number plate that seem to work OK. I wouldn't use anything stronger as it's knacker the paint.

Doesn't the "leather" strap just screw on?

Cellotape make an adhesive tape called "automotive trim tape". It comes on a roll and has enough put long lengths of tape right across the back of the number plate giving it great adhesion. It can be removed afterwards with a little care if you change plates.

I got my tape from my local motor factors in Towcester ~ £6 a roll.

BC

Try a Hafords rear view mirror of the parabolic kind (it's legal, honest) with the suction cup fitting. Smaller width means it doesn't obscure forward vision so badly as the std. unit. Easy to re-position if req. Gives a vibration free view with good area coverage due to the curved lens.

My rear view mirror also fell off, the Green sticky pads from Halfords have done a good job of sticking it back on.

Have used a couple of sticky velcro pads for the number plate as the Tyre carrier has been removed and if I ever put it back on the number plate can be reattached.

Jason