Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing rear discs

Paul McKenzie

I was changing the DD ears and realised the rear discs are near the limit.

Two questions for anybody with any experience of changing rear discs; since I've already disconnected the rear calipers, I obviously don't have rear brakes. What's the best way of getting the hub nuts undone without having to rebleed the brakes (yes, I know I should put flexis on to avoid this situation *eek*)? Is it sufficient and OK to just put the car in gear?

Do you need a hub puller to remove the rear hub/disc assembly or can you just 'tap' it off *tongue*

Thanks

Paul

Oh...

You might want to use an impact wrench to undo the nuts - or refit the wheels, get the car on teh ground and the loosen the nut. Might need to put something behind the wheel to stop the car from trying to escape.

Bear in mind that the LH nut has LH thread!

Paul

Give my dad a ring if you get stuck, remember we replaced them only a few months ago.

Im sure he can find time to pop around and and give u a hand, if you need it, as you know he usually free 😳

Chris *thumbup*

oh have you tried putting two wheel nuts back in and then putting a bar through onto the ground then undo the nut (not pushin the car up)

Superlight R No. 97

Edited by - Mad7ner on 23 Jan 2007 18:14:50

I just put a couple of blocks of wood behind the wheels, and my foot, that was sufficient to undo the hub nuts, and opposite side to re-tighten. Remember the near side has a left hand thread.

Then undid the calipers and lifted them out of the way without disconnecting the brake lines. there was plenty of flex in the "hard" brake lines. no need for bleeding.

The hubs just slid off without any persuasion.

I fitted the discs and re-torqued the hubs before fitting the pads to make sure that there was nothing pushing against the disc whilst pulling the hubs in tight.

Possibly un-necessary, but gave me piece of mind I wouldn't warp the discs.

One thing to watch for is thin nuts that hold the disc can be tight, I found that a 14mm socket was a good tight fit where as the correct 9/16" was easy to twist off.

The usual trick for undoing hub nuts with the wheel off is to replace a couple of wheel studs and wedge a long bar between them. The other end of the bar sits on the floor. Now then you undo the nut the wheel only turns till the bar jams between the floor and the studs. At this point you take a firm grip, mutter "come on you b***rd" and heave on the hub nut till it unscrews.

Don't forget LH thread on LHS, as posted above.