Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SVC Headlamps

Nemo

Has anybody views on the quality of the chrome plated brass bodied 5 3/4" headlamps that SVC sell? I think I need some new lamps as the fixing bolts on my old 7" lamps are too short to fit on the bar type headlamp supports.

Do you get a reasonable length of cabling with SVC lamp units (ie enough to get comfortably through the support bracket an have enough to connect in the engine bay?

I hope you're enjoying the ride....I am! 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

• Support Team

I bought a pair of black ones a couple of years ago

The cables on mine were barely long enough with the result that my connectors are hard up against the headlight mounting bracket.

Mine regularly mist up and leak to the extent that bulbs have blown due to contact with water.

I had terrible problems adjusting one of them as the metal tab inside the bowl bent (the tab stops the bowl from rotating as you do up the large nut underneath).

All in all, not a great experience for me. The powder coating is good though and in operation they are quite bright (especially with the "Xenon" upgrade).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• Area Representative

Shaun,

Give SVC a call (I think the chap's name is Steve) and mention the problems about the bulbs blowing with the condensation. This happened on one of Cookie7's lights are the unit was exchanged immediately with no quibble whatsoever.

Agreed though about the tab buckling as you try and tighten them although no else has complained about the problem on the local cars.

Cheers

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

i bought a pair of 5 3/4 and the lights are good, but as others say they scrimp on the cable lengths. I had to cut and solder extensions - which is a real pain, and surely as they sell them for se7ens, you'd have thought they would have known the cable run length.

A good product spoilt for the sake of a few pennies

BUT I wonder, has anyone told them their cabling is too short? probably not!

tony's bad, blue 7 here

Bougth mine nearly three years ago now and now problems with them at all. Original bulbs still in place and working. No corrosion or misting up. From memory cable lengths were fine too.

Definite *thumbup* for SVC from me. Shaun_e did you you speak to SVC about the problems you had? Might still be worth a call. If they don't know about quality problems then they won't know to put it right.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Thanks all. Generally sounds like a *thumbup* for them.

I think I'll give SVC a ring, check about the cable lengths and if I get the right answer go for a chrome pair.

Cheers *thumbup* *smile*

KAP

I bought the SVC black 5 3/4" the other year. Delivery was viryually next day but the problem was that the wiring was too short. It seems they also do headlights for the W*******d and they have a shorter loom. Make sure you specify lights ofr a Caterham.

The wiring in the replacement lights (sent by return, no hasssle) more than made up for the short length of the originals.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

• Support Team

Like David I just haven't got round to it. The aggravation factor of removing them, sending them back, waiting for replacements and refitting just isn't worth it. No I haven't contacted SVC - sadly I have just come to accept that many suppliers in the Caterham world get it wrong from time to time and while many (most?) try to be helpful in sorting problems, in the main the problem just shouldn't have been there in the first place. I have no doubt SVC would replace the lights if I asked but that doesn't compensate for the hassle factor. It won't stop me buying from SVC again but I will be checking more carefully what I buy.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I've had the brass/chrome 7" lamps from SVC, and Steve is very helpful.

Check how much cable length you need and ring him, he's ok.

My lamps have been fine, don't get the cheapo ones from other sources, they are plated steel and will rust out eventually.

Foolish behaviour on 3 wheels a speciality...

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Thanks all *thumbup*

Your views seemed to be generally favourable so SVC lamps it is then.

Placed an order yesterday.

Cheers 😬 😬

KAP

Lamps arrived yesterday afternoon. One had a shattered lense and dented rim ☹️ but the other was fine. The parcel looked like it had been used for football practice *mad*. Contacted guy (Steve?) at SVC straight away to let him know.Can't fault the service - he didn't quibble or prevaricate - just asked me to return damaged one and said he would send another today *thumbup*.

BTW the cables are plenty long enough to get you into the engine bay and give you ample for connecting to car's wiring.

Lamp looks like it's well made with a good finish although I did notice I might have to bend the bottom fixing lug to get the rim to fit a little tighter.

One other thing: does any body know what the tape they use for wrapping wiring looms is called 🤔 I need a bit to tidy up.

KAP

Loom Tape 😬

Although

A- if you are being a tart

B - You are trying to get an extra wire (for an indicator) from the headlamp and through the hole in the mounting arm.

Then you may get a smaller, more easily threadable loom using shrink wrap tubing.

Nick

Thanks Doh!Nut *thumbup*

Loom tape, eh - now there's a confusing name *wink*

I actually want the tape to tidy up a bit I peeled off somewhere else on the car not for threading through the mount.

Cheers