Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Unstable braking

Midnight

The braking in my Xflow 7 has started to get a bit unstable so that when braking really hard it feels like the back of the car wants to swing to the right and swap ends with the front of the car. I.e It feels as if the front left brake/tyre is working much more efficiently than the rest and stopping better and so the back of the car is using this nearside front wheel as a pivot to get in front .

Its getting so that I'm putting a tiny bit of right turn on the steering to counter this effect but I've managed to spin while braking and turning left into a roundabout I guess viewed from above you would see the back of car spin anti clockwise. I know the topic has been brought up before, but any new advice or clarification on what's happening and possible causes would be appreciated

Hi the rear brakes on a caterham are very good so caterham sell pads that counter act this, when I went for the SVA I didn't know this and the rear brakes were working better than the front, and even now the backs are very good so the fronts have to be in tip top condistion other wise the back will try to swop ends under brakeing if you have got some lock on. So mybe one of your front the pads may be glased, try taking the pads out and roughting them with some emery, also give them a good bleeding and make sure the callipers not siezed, if there ok then pump them out a little (harlf way) and put some brake fluid inside the dust rubber to lub the pistons, then push the pistons back and refit the pads. By the way what pads are you useing the Lads have told me Mintex 1144 pads and I have found them a great improvement you can get them from Quest Mead 01706 880088 hope this is a help Regards Paul

Have you checked your front right calliper is working correctly? It might have a seized piston, which could effect its performance. I had this, and once sorted my car was much more stable under braking.

Jon

My thoughts are the same as Jon too. It sounds, from your description like one of the fronts is working well below max. efficiency, this could be due to glazed pads, as Paul suggest, but I think more likely to be a sticking caliper. To check this, remove the wheel, take out the brake pads, check these for wear and glazing, you may be able to see which one hasn't been working, if not, put a block of wood, just slightly narrower than the pistons, between them, to stop them popping out, then get someone to push the brake pedal and see if one of both pistons move, easy. If one moves but the other doesn't, then you need to release the stuck piston. That could be a problem, the last time I had to do that, I used a type of mole grip to push the piston back slightly then eased it out a bit. If you have to take it out to clean any rust off the piston, you could clamp up the hose to stop the brake fluid coming out. When cleaning the piston DON'T to be too hard with the emery paper!

If you haven't changed the brake fluid for some time, now would be a good time to do it. There may be water in it, and it could be this that has helped jam the piston, or maybe you use a pessure washer and direct it at the caliper to get the brake dust off? Probably not the best of ideas, given the pressure which the water comes out of these things.

Of course, I may be talking out of the back of my 🙆🏻, so treat all this with caution, brakes aren't something to mess with lightly *eek*.

Best of luck in sorting it.

Paul J. Life is what happens, while I'm planning something better!

I've had this happen twice to me where the back has stepped out to the rightunder hard braking. If left unchecked it would have spun. Both times it happened on the approach to a roundabout so I had a little left lock on. Since I worked out what it was I'm conscious to avoid it and haven't had a repeat performance *thumbup*

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Mine was so bad at this when I first got it, it could be frightening and I span several times. We cured it by fitting heavier duty front calipers which is obviously not cheap. The simple installation of a bias valve can be done for less than £100 and will cure the problem.