Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strange noises - or paranoia?

GrahamJung

After nearly 5000 miles, my Superlight has developed a couple of new noises, which are starting to worry me, especially as I have a European tour coming up:

1. There is an occasional squealing from the clutch when I depress the pedal (ie once every 5 - 10 times) The gearbox came with the modified nose and I'm assured that the bearing was not from the duff batch. Is this just normal (dirt, dust in there) or the start of the dreaded bearing problems?

2. There is a loud creaking / groaning from the rear, especially on left-handers. Everything seems tight and no cables are rubbing - any ideas?

Graham

What do you mean by the duff batch of bearings? My 1.6K is 2 years old and I have just had to have the engine out to replace a knackered clutch release bearing - a lot of money for an inexpensive part.

If this is a known problem (I was told it wasn't) what chance of my recouping some of the cost from Caterham? Not a lot, I assume, as I have never found them helpful...

Thanks for any advice

Nick

• 1 month later...

With the car stationary, do you get 'creaking' noises as you push down on the rear? If so, perhaps you should check out the 'A bracket' bushes. Mine often sound like a geriatric old horse, but then it could just be me.

Tim