Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Omex pro shift light instalation problem

Carl

I have recently purchased an Omex Pro shift light but I only seem to be able to get either the tacho or shift light to work individually and not together when using the ECU tacho output. It is not possible to supply the Omex unit using the coil as I am running a coil pack where the connectors are sealed units.

I have crimped the shift light negaitive feed to the ECU tacho cable. As soon as I do this, the tacho no longer works. I have spoken to Omex and they say that the ECU feed to the tacho is not strong enough once the change light is crimped onto the same cable.

Omex confirmed that I need to install a resistor between the red +ve feed and the blue -ve feed using a 4k7 -5k6 resistor. I asked the guy to explain it to me a couple of times but it still did not make sense. Has anyone experienced the same problem and if so could you explain in simple terms what I need to do (as Omex are very technical)?

Thanks

Carl

Slightly similar problem. My car has an Omex sequential shift light. When I first had the car it worked fine but then it stopped working. I tried alll sorts of things, spoke to Omex techie who was first class and eventually sent the unit back where it was found to be in perfect condition. Still does not work, even with it earthed right back to the battery post so given up on it. Sorry does not help you other than knowing you're not the only frustrated Omex owner!!

Thanks

Have you tired checking the voltage on the +ve supply to the unit. It should be in the region of 8-9V. I found at first that the +ve supply that I was using (from the back of the tacho - approx 3.5v)did not give sufficient voltage and the unit did not work. I tested all of the +ve wires coming out of the fuse box that were live after the ignition was on and found a supply that was a full 12V. The unit started working again immediately. It may be that your original supply has last volts as a result of the connection being weaker or the battery loosing charge.

Cheers

Carl

Carl, that's interesting and something I had not considered. I'm taking the +ve supply off the coil not the tacho feed as that's supposed to be more reliable according to Omex. I (had) assumed that it would be a solid 12V. But something to check nonetheless. Thank you.