Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare Wheel attachment components

swatson

Can some one give me the details of all the parts to secure a spare wheel, for a Live Axle (Ital) car.

I have the spare wheel bracket, and I have a hole in the rear panel of the car but thats it!, no captive nut it seems.

I understand that there is a Y shaped jobby that screws into this hole somehow and I guess the other end of the Y shaped jobby attaches to the spare using a couple of bolts - presumably this means that there are Ford and Ital version of the Y shaped jobby thingy, due to the different PCD's of the stud pattern. Please could some one explain how it all fits together? Do I need some special load bearing plate between the fuel tank and the rear panel?

Thanks

Steve

You are correct about the Y-shaped jobbie. It has two threaded bits (the top of the Y) which bolt into opposing holes on the PCD. The 'leg' of the Y, if you will, is a tube which should line up with the hole in the rear panel with the tire resting on the bracket.

You should have a long-ish bolt with a T handle on the end which will pass through the center of the wheel (w/ center cap removed) and bolt through the Y-bracket into the back of the car. Note there is a spacer sleeve of something like 75mm-100mm which slides over the bolt, and ends up between the T-handle and the leg of the Y-shaped deal (if you see what I mean) so that the whole assembly tightens up.

As for the matter of the captive nut, on mine the hole in the rear panel lines up with the section of C-channel that runs horizontally inside the rear panel and on which the boot floor rests. This channel has a nut welded to it to pick up the long bolt.

Can't imagine that's a very clear explanation, but hope you can make sense of it.

Dave

Swatson, There should be a threaded boss/nut welded to the cross brace inside the boot through which the bolt that holds the tyre to the body via the Y shaped brace/Chrome bolt will go. There should also be a tube which spaces the wheel away from the rear skin by about 1". if you don't have this and the tyre rests right on the bodywork then eventually you will see a pattern ground into the alloy skin which matches the markings on the tyre, if you can read backwards you can even see what make/size of spare was fitted by seeing the marks on the alloy on well worn examples. Its even worse on painted cars. Luckily I fitted my spacer before it got too bad, but you can still make out the circular mark of the tyre on my rear panel.