Click here if you are having website access problems ×

x-flow problem

helol

Took my car out for a drive this afternoon, it ran brilliantly as far as I was aware.....Got home and took it out again (rude not to) but now it will not rev to over 2500 rpm, splutters and jolts severely, cuts out and is undriveable. It was also very hard to start (very unusual) on the second run. recently I have replaced the exhaust and the ignition leads but I'm confused because it was running so well then went so pear shaped so quickly. And for once without me touching it in between.

What can make it go so out of tune/time?

Any help VERY gratefully received

I have had problems with my xflow similar in the past, but if you have done the leads recently it is definately worth starting there as most problems do occur when fixing something else!

Check the leads are secure and the distributer cap is in good order. (if its dark run the engine and look for sparks/arking around the cap and leads)If so clean cap or replace if necesarry.

Other possible things:

Timing gone off due to distributer turning in clamp (maybe when leads were fitted)

Water in the fuel line. (when I first got mine over enthusiastic engine cleaning caused spluttering at anything over low revs)

Blocked carb jet/dirt in float chamber. (unscrew top and take out jets and blow through)

naff fuel pump or blocked filter - disconnect line and run pump. (not totally certain to be ok if fuel is comming out and it really needs to be pressure checked!)

Hopefully its nother more serious but I'm sure its not.

Good luck!

If you have a condenser fitted to the ignition system then it could be that - when it went on one of my previous cars it would start and idle OK but the engine had no power and drive extremely roughly (much worse the more load you attempted to put on it) before cutting out after about 100 metres.

Easiest way of checking this is seeing if you are getting a nice clean white spark.

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer

I've had a similar problem. Looked like fouled up plugs due to oil in the combustion chamber (don't know how the oil got there). Drove the car and it was fine, next time I started it was only running on three cylinders. Checked all the plugs and one was covered in oil/stuff and I could see oil/stuff on top of the piston. Cleaned the plugs with a blow torch and everything was fine again.

Anthony

Many thanks for all the replies. I checked the distributor and that made no difference. then checked the plugs and sure enough the plug from the first cylinder (nearest radiator) was covered in oil/stuff, the second cylinder was a bit better but I'm sure neither of them were firing. the other two cylinders were absolutely fine. anyway, cleaned plugs up and now is back to old self. time for a tune up me thinks!

thanks again for the help.

B******s ! This happened again last night. Started it and it was only running on three cylinders. Took out plug number 3 and more oil/water/stuff on the plug and the top of the piston. Don't know whether it's an oil leak from the valves or a water leak from the head gasket. I better start saving up.