Click here if you are having website access problems ×

jacking to tighten A-frame

phatcat

Situation:

I have one axle stand at each end of the chassis rail that runs along the bottom of the fuel tank.

I need to jack up the rear of the car so I can move the axles stands under the Dedion tube to get the correct angle on the A-frame before I tighten up the A-frame bolts.

I started jacking it up in the centre of the chassis rail, and as expected I saw it start to flex upwards, which suggests to me that this would permanently bend the rail if I continued.

Where should I jack it up?

Should I put something between the jack and the rail to stop the bar bending? Doesn't seem like a good idea from a safety perspective...

When I'm this situation I jack underneath the corner where the A-frame bolts to the chassis.

Edit: Depending on your ride height and size of your jack, this may be a tight fit to get the jack in there. Also it can be tricky to clear the exhaust, etc.

Edited by - xflow7 on 29 Jan 2005 17:04:18

• Support Team

A length of thick wood can be used across the width of the car between the jack and the chassis - this spreads the load. It does need to be pretty strong though - at least 2 or 3 inches thick. I use 4" square fence post.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I jack on the de-dion where the A frame bolts then put axle stands under chassis rails in front of front A frame fixing (use blocks of wood 'tween chassis and axle stand)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

ps the chassi rails aft of the dront A frame fixings are NOT load bearing

Edited by - nverona on 29 Jan 2005 17:14:02

>>When I'm this situation I jack underneath the corner where the A-frame bolts to the chassis.

May be mis-understanding this, but wouldn't that only jack up one side of the car?

>>A length of thick wood can be used across the width of the car between the jack and the chassis - this spreads the load.

What happens if the wood slips out while you are moving the axles stands under the Dedion? Doesn't sound safe to me.

>>I jack on the de-dion where the A frame bolts then put axle stands under chassis rails in front of front A frame fixing

Don't really get this either. I need to put the axles stands under the dedion, not under the chassis rails.

Edit: But this might work if the jack goes high enough to lift the car off the axle stands.

More confused now *eek*

Edited by - phatcat on 29 Jan 2005 17:53:34

Wasn't very clear I guess.

I jack up that point, position my jack stand under the axle on that side and lower it so that side of the car is supported by the axle (up on a jack stand) . Then proceed to do the same on the other side and put another jack under the axle on that side. So, you end up with the suspension bearing the weight of the car, but with enough clearance under the car to get at the bolts to be tightened.

Hope that clears it up.

Dave

phatcat, You can place the axle stands under the de-dion under the shock absorber, or very near.

Why do you need to have them under the de-dion, they're usualy in the way there.

I wouldn't jack one corner up at a time as it's twisting the chassis and whilst it probably won't do any harm for the few minutes it's twisted why do it when you can jack where it doesn't twist.

If you need to discuss, ring me on the number I've emailed

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

>>Why do you need to have them under the de-dion, they're usualy in the way there.

In the assembly guide, Section 6, Para 52 states: "Place the axle stands under the De-Dion tube such that the weight of the car is taken up through the spring damper units. Ensure that all the suspension securing bolts are tightened as detailed in Table 2."

Now, if you've been following the assembly guide text to the letter, by this point, the only thing you won't have torqued up are the A-frame bolts. I would assume therefore that the purpose in the above para is to ensure that the A-frame is set at the correct angle before you secure it.

I'll try jacking under the dedion - I think my neighbour has a high-lift jack...

I was over-thinking things as usual.

Didn't even need the high-lift jack. I had thought that the suspension would have more travel.

Anyway, I just loosely tightened up the A-frame/dedion bolt. Then jacked up at the dedion/A-frame point, moved the axle stands to under the dedion, lowered it down on to the stands and then torqued up the A-frame bolts.

Easy when you know how.

Thanks for help.