Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel pump/ECU

TomGaval

In trying to get my engine started for the first time,(unsuccessfully) I've determined that the engine is not getting fuel. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump cycle once, then it goes quiet. I have a QED prepared 1.8 K series with a DTA ECU. If I jump the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump runs continuosly, and the engine starts and stays running. Question is Is it a ECU problem? Mapping? If so what the recommended fix? Or can I just install a switch to run the fuel pump continuosly? Any risks with that option?

Tom

The ECU is supposed to prime the pump for 3-5 seconds which should pressurise the fuel rail, the moment the ECU sees any RPM the pump should turn back on, conversely if the engine RPM stops, so does the pump. This is a useful safety feature in the event of an accident.

It may be that the pump is priming for an insufficient period and/or the ECU is not seeing the RPM properly when the engine fires, hence the pump doesnt run.

You could jury rig the pump on continuous for now, it wont hurt as a temporary diagnostic.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 31 Aug 2001 13:58:29

I doubt it will be in either of the maps although its possible it may be one of the parameters you can change within the ECU. Have a good look around the software to see if its selctable. I'd have thought that this critical bit of the operation would be cast in tablets of stone.

Oily