Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Supersprint not firing - dodgy fuel pump ?

ziplobb

Reckon its a fuel problem as the pipe into the carb is dry so went back to the fuel pump and its getting into there

so

how can i tell if the pump is knackered ? just got the car - can u hear it when u turn ignition usually ?? - is there any way of getting fuel up there with a primer or something

any tips or help gladly received

thanks

Jai

I now have a red 91 Supersprint

I think the standard fitment was a manual pump - attached towards the rear of the engine on the drivers side. If it has that sort of pump, there is no noise when it is priming. That's what I have on mine.

However, some people seem to have electric pumps - in which case I imagine you can hear ticking or similar.

The manual pumps normally seem to be pretty reliable - but are cheap to replace if necessary.

I realise that this doesn't really answer your underlying question - a longer term owner than me may be able to come up with a definitive way of checking out what is happening.

Presume you are giving the throttle 3 or 4 good pumps for cold starting?

Assuming electric pump - yes it ticks....loudly normally.

Fuel is coming out of the pump but not reaching the carbs?

Is there a filter between the pump and the carbs? Blocked?

Or - blockage of some sort in the fuel line or not enough pressure from the pump.

Ken Sailor

Thanks for the info

since posting i have removed the pump which is 12v and attached it to a suitable power source to here it wizzing away !! so for some reason in the last 3 days power has decided to not travel to it - so i will keep looking - i have since found a blown fuse but have no idea what it relates to - presumably Caterham put this info in writing in the build maunal (which i do not have YET)

Jai

If you have problems getting hold of a wiring diagram, there is one in the Tony Weale Lotus/Caterham 7 book/manual, which I have a copy of.

However, as the standard fitment was a manual pump, I guess that won't help with this particular query. It shouldn't be too difficult to work out though (he said - being the least electrically able person possible).

Standard fuses of that era are 1) Brake lights 10a 2) Heater 10 3) Wipers 15 4) radiator fan 15 5) Heated screen 10 6) Horn 20 7) Hazards flashers 10 8) Dim Dip 10 9) Dipped beams 15 10) Main Beams 15 11) LH side lights 5 12) RH side lights and instruments 7.5

If its a Facet pump, they have a reputation for just stopping. I have had several over the years, they just stop for no reason, then you take them off the car and miraculously they then work. We have discussed their unreliability on here many times, they are not a great piece of kit even when installed correctly

Edited by - Graham Perry on 25 Jul 2004 06:47:58

OK

lots to be going on with there - thanks

will check out the make of pump - it also just so happens that I lifted the front of the car by 18" or so to get underneath 3 evenings ago but i cannot believe this had an effect of fueling - will make a note re the fuses.

thanks for the prompts

problem sorted

it seems that when i was fiddling under the dash to remove my windscreen stanctions i must have moved a bit of dodgy wiring so i traced the positve for the fuel pump (not facet) back to under the dash and re did the connection

hey presto !!

started first time then went for a quick 1/2 mile run just to make sure but have a couple of other minor problems to sort now

Jai