Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Still Overheating Arggghhhhh! - (wot abpout he water rail gasket)?????

grumpy the 7th

Dave,

My 3 times used bolts were Rover ones.

From my experience there are several parts of the job which can be difficult. I did not wish to remove (yet again) my exhaust system, so just undid the bolts and nuts holding primaries to the head, removed the silencer mounts completely and with a certain amount of jiggling was able to separate head and primaries. Inlet is just a plain awkward fiddle.

Removing front cover would not be too hard unless have an Apollo fitted, which is likeley to need to be released from its mounts and slid sideways to remove the nearside front cover bolt.

Providing you have lined up timing marks on front pulley correctly prior to removing the cam belt you should be able to line it all up OK when re-assembling the cam belt and checking the valve timing. The cam timing is the most nerve wracking part of the whole job. Its a case of do it, check it, check it, check it.

I was able to re-use inlet and exhaust gaskets as thay had only done couple of miles.

Recommend the head is pressure checked, hardness checked and flatness checked prior to refit. Scholar were very good with this.

Did not keep record of how long it took to redo the head, I just needed it to work at the second attempt.

Colin

Regarding the comment earlier about stripping the head so that it can be checked you will need to beg steal or borrow a suitable valve spring compressor, or even make modifications to an existing unit. I tried modifying existing unit but it was just not strong enough and twisted. The collets are b......s to get it and out.

Colin.

And yet it may not be head related. At Curborough this week we had a highly modified k series unit showing all these classic signs of blowing out the coolant - doing a good run then suddenly over heating at idle. The thermostat was removed and the problem went away. This seems to be the in fashion fault - is the world filling with a duff set of thermostats?

Hi Roger - it sounds like you may be onto something at last - good news *thumbup*

I've checked my water rail for leaks but didnt find any and it passed a pressure test as well so I dont think it has any bearing on my problem (this is on the basis that a leak may have caused an overheat which may have caused the gasket to fail). I've asked them to check the rail and the gasket and replace either of them if they look weak

I've not heard anything about my car today but will post something when I do. It will be a couple of days before the head gets pressure tested so i'm not expecting much news just yet. Its just a pain with all the nice weather we are having *mad*

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk