Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff leaking

Tim Smith

While grovelling around under my car last night I noticed a small amount of grease/oil leaking from the nearside drive shaft where it joins the diff. It looks as if it has been doing it for a while as it has collected a fair amount of dirt.

Is a slight leak normal or is it a sign of impending diff doom? Advice would be appreciated as I've got a track day next week and don't want a terminal failure on the track!

Tim

Tim,

Mine has done that ever-since I had the drive shafts (and diff) out to replace the propshaft. The problem seems to be that it is very easy to damage the seals when you replace the driveshafts...

...IMHO, it's not going to affect your trackday - just make sure that you've topped up your diff (see here if you're in doubt...)

YMMV, but the amount of oil that comes out (it *is* fairly gloopy stuff) is pretty minimal for the amount of mess it makes on the outside...

I've been trying to get an answer from another current thread to find out how easy it is to replace the seals (hopefully it can be done with the driveshafts out and the diff in situ) - but so far, no replies!

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

It may be worth checking that any oil deposits in that area are not originating from the diff breather . If they are grey grease then yes they probably are from the driveshafts .

The breather is on the top of the diff and normally comes supplied with a little 3" long pipe attached to the actual breather plug in the diff casing .

Under very hard cornering - especially on mega gripy surfaces like airfields and MIRA ,the diff can throw out a little fluid , this may appear to be a driveshaft leak when it dribbles down the diff casing .......

Best bet is to remove the boot floor and extend the diff breather tube by a few foot and then put a little catch tank / bottle on the end *thumbup* then replace the floor .

Dave

Dave - I'm almost 100% sure that my leaks are actually from around the driveshaft(s) where they enter the diff - not from the breather, and not grease.

This strongly suggests (to me) that I did slightly badger one of the driveshaft seals...

I will double-check when I top-up shortly (the breather does, coincidentally, vent to the RHS of the diff - the side that seems to leak).

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Thanks for the advice, I had another look last night and cleaned it up with brake cleaner. It's definitely grease leaking out. It looks as if its the grease in the UJ, it hasn't got a split gaiter but I gather it can get past the O ring in the can where the driveshaft goes into the diff. It looks as if it's been doing it for a while and there's definitely more play in that UJ than in the one on the opposite side.

I think I'll risk the track day and then get the driveshaft out and see if the O ring can be replaced.

Tim