Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Scholar, anybody used them?

Lawrence_Z

I visited Scholar last week to learn a bit more about their operation and especially their Evo4 block modifications.

They did have a nice little plastic plenum K motor there looking all shy and standard and reputedly producing 160 from its 1800cc *smile*

I don't think they do a lot of K series but has anyone got one of their engines?

any views on them?

cheers

Lawrence

I had the Evo 2 block strengthening conversion done last spring after I split my standard liners . Reliability , oil consumption , power and cooling have been excellent all season .

I have since reccomended Scholar to many others , I know about 6 people in the club who have since also had this conversion . Its only a few hundred quid ( when you are talking £400 for QED uprated liners ) and the turnaround and service was great .

Scholar are a very reputable engine builder - in fact Lotus trust them to build the exige race engine .

Note - I have no connection with scholar other than being a happy customer *smile* *thumbup*

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 1 Oct 2003 16:19:18

I've just had them complete an EVO4 conversion on one of my engines - the bill was less than expected, and the job was completed on time - can't say any more so far as the engine is still in a shipping container for the moment.

It's a big improvement over the standard setup. I had big oil consumption problems when I first fitted Accralite pistons instead of the original VHPD Omegas (see this) and I originally contacted Scholar because I wanted to get my liners rehoned. After talking to them, I opted for the Evo2 conversion, and whilst I still get more oil consumption than with the Omegas, it is now halved.

I took some pictures when I rebuilt the engine, and they are on the se7ens.net server:

Evo2 block

Evo2 close-up

original block

Evo2 liner closeup

Original liner closeup

The thing to notice really is that compared with the original the Evo2 liners are a lot thicker, and are machined flat where they meet. Full details of the conversion I already posted in the link above.

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it *smile*

Edited by - c21vhpd on 2 Oct 2003 08:03:26

Edited by - c21vhpd on 2 Oct 2003 08:05:29

I've just seen Peter Cox's Scholar K block. It's fabby and I want one. This just about addresses all of the problems associated with the K in on go. Turns the block into a stiff unit and removes that worry. You can move on with your revs now and find another weakness somewhere else.

Peter says that you could turn the crank with the head off and the liners wouldn't move (that was just for comparison with the original - I know you shouldn't).

Scholar told Peter that the Evo 4 conversion was overkill for a Se7en owing to the way it is installed. They suggested it was more appropriate for an Elise or other sideways mounted application. They didn't explain further. Having seen the work done I hardly believe the Evo 4 would be necessary either. As the Evo 2 is only a shade over 300 quid WITH the vat added, it seems excellent value.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours