Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Spray from Air Filter

Slomove

Driving at Streets of Willow track days last weekend I noticed a large amount of oil spray mixed with a little fuel coming from the rear air filter of my Weber carbs, messing up the right rear wing and the passenger seat back. I am running a 2 liter Zetec and had only occasional dripping before when driving hard. Actually it never happens while road driving. As far as I can see it comes from the suction hose that ends in the air filter chamber and vents the crankcase as well as the fuel tank. I guess the idea is to rather burn excess atomized oil and fuel vapor in the engine instead of letting it go to the environment. The oil level was admittedly somewhat high measured in a Raceline wet sump with the stock dip stick. Otherwise the engine was running great.

If it is only the sloshing in the fuel tank and the oil sump on the track that feeds undesired liquids into the air filter chamber I would just disconnect this suction hose for track driving. Does anybody know if that may have an ill effect on the engine? Or maybe another advice?

Thanks, Gert