Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500s - wearing on outer shoulder

Myles

My CR500s seem to be losing interest on the outer edges more than anywhere else - I can usually see some graining as well as noticing the wear.

I'm running at 18.5 to 19 psi cold and had the tracking checked just recently.

BTW - it's the same front and back IIRC...

Also - supplementary - are the wear indicators on the CR500s those half-height blobs between the grooves?

Thanks and regds,

Myles

That tyre wear pattern is probably because of excessive toe-in. The graining could be cold graining, possibly because of overenthusiastic use of the tyres before they were properly up to temperature. This is where the top layer of tread microscopically detaches from the layer below leading to the visible graining and reduction in grip/

I would be right in thinking that 'excessive' toe-in would contribute to a fairly 'dead' steering feel wouldn't I? - i.e. it's more stable and gives less feedback from road imperfections...?

That's one of the things I felt was 'off' about this car when I got it (oooh three weeks and 1000 miles ago *biggrin*) - Millwood detected an overtightened rack at service - this improved the situation a bit - but it still doesn't match my memories of rent-a-sevening about 6-7 years ago...

Am I'm out of my depth again - I thought toe-in was part of a tracking check... *confused* ...and IIRC, the rears are showing the same signs (maybe not as bad) - I can't check this 'til Friday as the car is 40 mins drive away from home ☹️

Are you (Peter C) at MIRA this Sat, BTW?

Thanks and regds,

Myles

Well, there aren't any for rent in our town (did ask a 'friendly' estate agent - he just laughed 🙆🏻). Not entirely true - but the only rentable ones are the local druggie haven...

The car lives at my grandmothers stately pile - good PR (forced to drink tea on the lawn every visit though 😳) - it's the closest and most secure place I can think of.

I have overnighted it out the back of my house a couple of times under a car cover - as long as it is fairly random, I reckon I can get away with it - but we've had vandalism in the past (and those looong summer school-holiday nights are coming...)

Luckily, I've found a good 7 route for the trip over - no cameras on the interesting bits, nice and quite - heaven...

I guess I just need to find myself a job or win the lottery...

Regds,

Myles