Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New oil / air tower design ( K series )

Jason Plato

Recieved a K series oil / sir seperator tower on the weekend - you know , the one that fits on top of the belltank .

On the previous design the top caps were known to come loose and leak oil . So Caterham have redesigned the caps . Now there is only one - for the dipstick . The lower section is now retained by 6 allen bolts . I assumed that if I removed the allen bolts then the section would simply lift out so that I can then fill with oil .

But no . The lower section doesnt appear to want to move ???

So what am I doing wrong ??? - it should be simple .........

Or do I now have to fill the belltank through a 10mm hole ??? *confused*with a small funnel from the kitchen .

Also what is the purpose of the 120mm x 3mm length of steel with 2 holes drilled in it ? *confused*I asked Caterham and they dont know either !!!

Dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 27 May 2003 11:04:20

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 27 May 2003 11:20:46

Oil now goes in via the 'normal' filler on the cam covers.

The metal you mention is a key to tighten the top when you first fit it.

Caterham have a fitting diagram if you ask the right questions.

S7MAD

Malc,

Putting any more than 1L in via the cam cover filler on a dry sumped engine is asking for trouble as the there is very little capcity in the sump pan. Also if you do not put any oil directly into the bell tank then there will be no oil being fed to the oil pump, a sure way of knackering your engine.

All sorted now .

IMHO this whole design is over engineered . Why couldnt the dipstick cap be the same diameter as the tower ??????? , this could then be used to fill with oil . And save a major machining job .

As Rob says , the reason for asking was that I dont wish to fill the sump pan with 6 L of oil .

Mad Malc - fitting is the easy bit , where the oil goes was the problem .

Dave

Dave, my 1999 conning tower has 2 caps, one (the dipstick) inside the other (filler). Are you saying they have deleted the filler cap? Stupid if so. On the dry sump system it's more appropriate to delete the cam cover filler cap I'd have thought.

Madness.

They should have deleted the dipstick altogether. No-one uses it. The dry sump system just needs slightly overfilling. It'll chuck out everything it doesn't want.

Got a piccy?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

V7 , thats correct . The filler cap ( the lower section) has been replaced by a new design which is now attached with 6 allen bolts using a realy naff looking metal compression plate .

I also wouldnt be surprised if the compression plate leaks oil in use , as there is no means of sealing - O ring or gasket .

Sorry I dont have a piccy .......... no camera ☹️

Dave

I think this a good upgrade. In the early days of R500's they had problems with the lower ring unscrewing and all the oil being dumped. I lock wired mine in position. Mine has also always leaked oil, as I gather all the racers do. Nothing you can do about it other than cable tie some cloth in place to soak it up.

I have always filled mine through the filler cap on the engine. It's never been an issue.