Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camber & Toe

AlastairA

I'm pretty confident of the answer, but would be grateful if anyone can confirm that both camber and toe for the front wheels are affected by the weight of the driver and passenger (and  therefore both should be set with the chassis appropriately weighted).

Many thanks in adavance!

Posted (edited)

And a second question - I use the TrackAce alignment system which of course provides a Toe measurement of the angular difference between the two front wheels (rather than an absolute measurement of each wheel like the string method). Consequently the steering central position needs to be set before any adjustment - so, is a vernier measurement of the visible track rod thread length an accurate way of making sure that both sides are set equally? (And if not, what is the best way to make sure?)

Edited by AlastairA

Ballast will affect the camber quite a bit, the toe to a lesser extent.

You can us a long straight pole to gauge the difference in toe on each side by using 2 axle stands to rest the pole on at hub centre height, then when held a fixed distance from the wheel face (using a couple of spacers), measure the position relative to the rear wheel, or just sight along the edge of a long spirit level to a mark at the rear wheel.

I f the steering wheel is off when the car is driven, just adjust the track rod an equal amount each side to centre it.

Many thanks James.

Since the original post, I set up the TrackAce and was measuring 0' Toe (which is what I am aiming for) then arranged my phone to record the laser position as I climbed into the car and bounced the suspension quite a bit. The results are on this video and seems to show that the toe really doesn't vary at all (you can see the laser drop as I climb in, bounce around and then rise again as I climb out - all with little variation).

The steering wheel is correctly centred when I drive, so I'll check the absolute wheel position on each side using your method.

Thanks!