Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking Weber DCOE40

The mechanic that checked over my car when it first came to Canada had that very unpleasant experience the second morning the car was in his shop. He found a lot of crud in the carbs and so he cleaned them. Obviously the car had sat for a long time and stale gasoline and what not was working its way through the fuel system. I asked about adding a fuel filter but he said only if it happens again. I’ve top the tank up twice now and traveled over 250 miles without a repeat. However, it does sputter and pop and smells like it is running very rich. So having them properly set up by someone who knows is on the “to do” list.

Thanks to you all for your input. 
l do have a fuel pressure gauge, setting tool and a gasket kit on order. However, I didn’t realise that the carbs could be over tightened onto the manifold. Will back off the retaining nuts and see if it’s the answer. 

Yes, Oily is correct, the carbs need a certain amount of flexibility on the inlet manifold, but not so much that you end up with an air leak at the carb/manifold joint. What engine do you have? If it's a Supersprint Crossflow, they very often pop, splutter and behave nastily on very light throttle. If that is what you have (and only if) the solution is usually to change the 45F9 idle jets to 50F9. In affected cars this make a dramatic difference. If it's not a Supersprint, ignore the above jetting advice.