Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma engine codes/numbers

Andy135

Anyone know what engine code/engine number Caterham used for their run of Sigma engines? I'm tempted to find and recondition an engine from a breaker as a project but curious to know which engine code to look for.

Fixed cam or vvt makes a difference. The fixed cam engines were the same spec as the 100hp ones from a focus.

The ones that caterham used were the after sales crate engines, 416zsg, so it’s possible they have a slightly different engine number format to any in a car. 

Posted (edited)

Yep, should have said. Fixed cam. There seem to be a variety of codes across the fixed cam engines. Not clear if they only relate to date of manufacture or to something more significant such as design revisions etc.

Edited by Andy135

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Iain McCallum said:

Forgot to mention it is a Roadsport 150.

Thanks. That's helpful. Mine's a 150 too but doesn't have any stickers or info like yours. I heard that Caterham grind off a part of the engine to make it fit in the 7, and as bad luck would have it the part they remove is the part with the engine code on it.

Edited by Andy135

Given that Caterham bought whatever Sigma engines that Ford could supply them over the years it's doubtful there is any specific sequence or code relating to them. Certainly unlikely any serial number would be particular to Caterham. 

If you're reconditioning an engine just buy any Sigma...  it doesn't matter what it's from. The engines are all boggo standard from a Fiesta/C-Max/Focus/Mondeo and the Caterham-specific things were sump, cams, and ECU (plus maybe some other small items).