Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing my ECU

CtrMint

As some of you will recall John, James and I spent time a couple of years back reverse-engineering the MBE ECU specifically fitted to the 420R.  I aimed to build a digital display and data logger for the car, a project I got quite far into, and nearly completed.  I certainly got a fully working prototype working and fitted to my 420R. 

Unfortunately, life got in the way and I've just not managed to complete the project.  Having looked at all the bits on my workbench and code in Github I keep telling myself to complete the project, but sadly lack the motivation.  The reason for the lack of motivation is building around the MBE ECU with its missing of flow control.  The complete project will make it very much MBE centric.  

I'm therefore wondering whether to replace my ECU for one which adopts the Canbus standard correctly.  Doing so will mean my logger and display should work easily within any car with a compliant implementation of CanBus.  I also fancy replacing the analogues gauges for digital too, I suspect a compliant ECU will make that process easier too.

Has anyone else replaced their ECU within Duratec based car?  Does anyone have any advice
Cheers

I use a DTA S60, and will be using CAN with a Racetechnology Dash 2. The Race technology site has lots of info regarding various ecu protocols. They use a programable interface to decode ecu specific CAN into a specific Racetechnology serial input set. I think AIM have a similar system.

Should add that mine is a conversion of a 1990 supersprint, so not directly comparable.

It's a work in progress, but I have a start map for my spec. which is the old school r300d. It is based on a map that Northampton Motorsport did for Graham Blackwell. He ran a 200hp duratec in his hillclimb mk1 fiesta. https://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/

I only chose it for historical reasons as I had an earlier generation one when I ran a zetec. I think they have moved on to the T-series now, which are a bit more feature rich. Money no object I would be looking at Life Racing.

Better approach is probably to choose your mapper and see what ecus they like to map that meet your CAN requirements. The racetechnology site is useful as you can see how the CAN fields are configured across the various ecu brands.

I've done plenty of rallying over the years as a co driver, all the quick cars I've been in mostly Evos and Imprezas were always running GEMS but they don't seem to feature in this space.  They would have been my money no object solution.  

As I really want to build my own solutions around the ECU I should look at their accessibility etc 

I'm doing this when my 420R arrives this Spring. The plan is to replace the stock engine, ECU, and gauges with a 2.4L Duratec controlled by an Emerald K6+ with Emerald supplied engine loom, and feeding data to an AiM MSX 1.2 dash via CAN.  From what I have heard, the CAN connection between the two works as advertised, and since I've been using Emeralds on Duratecs for the last 15 years, I'm comfortable with their interface.  

-John