Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting half side screens

mandalman

I've just received some mohair half doors (or half side screens as they call them) from Thundersport. As expected they are superb quality but I am a little confused. They have supplied the fixings in a separate bag. I understand why they don't fit them as I imagine all cars have the opposite fixings on the car in different places but there are no instructions with them. Are there any instructional videos on YouTube or elsewhere and do I need any special tools? I've emailed Jo at Oxted but not received a reply but I'm certain someone on here must know!

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. Jo was very helpful, so be a little patient. You will need to buy a punch tool and base plate (Caterham Cars sell them as a set, as do others I'm sure). There are not many videos on how to fit the studs, but I did find one on the Softbits For Sevens channel which gives you half an idea on how it works.

I used a small screwdriver/ bradel to make the initial hole first, while the half screen was taped to the side of the car.

Take it slow. 

Thanks for the advice Malc, taping the side screens on is a good call. Found out off Jo that the tool required is actually called a 'Durable Dot Fastening Tool'. Ordered one off Moss Parts for £10.52 and then when you mentioned Caterham sell them I checked and theirs are is £8.60!  I'm wondering if this is the first time ever that Caterham Parts have sold something cheaper than the competition!